General Sportsball thread

I assume they got some kind of break on the land. This is part of the building up effort of the Riverfront area of Kansas City, parts of which were…not great. It’s basically an old run down industrial area. The specific plot where this was built was owned by the Port of Kansas City and was basically an undeveloped lot. At one point, it’s where they had dumped the roof of the old Kemper Arena, where the Kansas City Kings played basketball before they moved to Sacramento.

3 Likes

Quite a game! Not to take anything away from the KCC; the Thorns made some boneheaded mistakes to start the game off. I would call it rusty but that would be an insult to iron oxide. Some incredible goals from both teams in the second half. Debinha had one that I swear fit impossibly between players, Sophia Smith had a shot that slotted into the far side while she was running the other direction, facing the other direction, while being pushed down. I don’t know how she could have made that shot on an empty field, much less with a keeper in the box and three defenders covering her.

3 Likes
3 Likes

The Dodgers need a new Japanese-English interpreter. I just so happen to be a Japanese-English interpreter. This is my big chance!

4 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Are the flag-shaggers OK?

5 Likes

The investigation is expanding with the IRS getting involved

4 Likes
4 Likes

Speaking of pro-wrestling…

2 Likes

:thinking:

First comment:

You and F.D. Passed up on the perfect marketting/venture… Come out with a Wrestling vid at the same time, fake a beef about it, then boom! Wrestling PPV.

I’d pay to see that…

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Also, from lil bill: pro-wrestling is “hollywood run by carnies”…

[ETA]

From FD’s comments, lil bill himself:

PSA: This might be the first time me and FD disagree on anything publicly lol. So don’t y’all go starting no drama when when my jawn drop. It is NOT a response video lol

me, waiting for a FD lightwork video about this coincidence

Excited Crazy Eyes GIF

2 Likes

Speaking of pro wrestling:

Gambling is not just essential to the economy of sports and sports media; it has, in essence, become the economy of sports and sports media. Faced with an aging and fragmenting television audience, the sports world turned to partnering with legal gambling operations to fill its coffers. From a dollars-and-cents perspective, this has been wildly successful, and the revenue just keeps growing. But in the process, sports executives ushered a fox into the henhouse. It’s not the growing addiction epidemic among fans—particularly younger ones—that concerns and threatens the corner office. It’s the scandals of the athletes themselves. This month, players have allegedly used inside information to place bets, allegedly fixed individual and team outcomes, and not-so-allegedly damaged the credibility of their sports. These stories, once incredibly rare, now come out with the regularity of a metronome.

How are we supposed to trust investigative sports media to examine the corrosive effects of gambling on the sports world when its economic lifeblood depends upon more bets, more addicts, and more scandals? The thing that sports has over other forms of entertainment is the undetermined outcome. If people start to believe that the situation is rigged, they will turn away, and sports will become pro wrestling.

6 Likes

The NBA and NFL are already there. It’s way too easy for athletes, coaches, and refs to hide gambling winnings through a cutout now that it’s so widespread and accessible.

5 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Off topic. There’s no ball in that supposed sport.

4 Likes

Carlisle United’s season has not had many good points, but this Jon Mellish hat trick against fourth placed Peterborough United is one of them.

3 Likes

Angry Batman Returns GIF by HBO Max

Of course, I recently posted not one, but two videos about pro-wrestling, and it’s not even really a sport, sports entertainment… :grimacing:

6 Likes

That guy’s head is pretty much a ball. :laughing:

5 Likes

Danny Devito as the Penguin was really the best Penguin…

5 Likes

The other day I noticed that a large part of the advertisements around Brazilian football fields were ads for digital betting houses. For some reason the media and these companies avoid the term in Portuguese, “aposta”, preferring to use the english equivalent “bet”.

7 Likes