General Sportsball thread

I just posted this to the Odd stuff topic, but it also fits here.

2 Likes

No one can convince me that’s a civilized country.

5 Likes

35 years in the Eredivisie, many of them qualifying for the UEFA Cup/Europa League. As it stands they are on -1 points with four games to go, 9 points is the previous record low.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Greed has killed the FA Cup.

I’d say boycott it until replays return, but they have done fuck to change the EFL Trophy back to a lower league tournament. Fuck it, the FA Cup is dead to me anyway.

It’s not like the FA Cup is like it used to be, with replays until there was a winner.

6 Likes

Baseball teams have been redesigning uniforms to inrease shirts sales for a while and a recent trend is a city connect uniform which is supposed to commemorate their city. Washington has cherry blossoms, Colorado has the outline of the rocky mountain skyline, San Francisco numbers are disappearing in the fog, etc.

Here’s the latest Philadelphia Phillies city connect uniform which reminds me of someone.

5 Likes

The artwork they used for the article?

4 Likes
3 Likes

Groan.

1 Like

Gateshead have been excluded from the National League promotion playoffs.

Fuck. I would have liked it if Carlisle could play against another team that wasn’t 100 miles away.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Sorry for the xitter link, but that’s all I have

(For more context, three months ago Doncaster Rovers were in 22nd place after being beaten 5-1 by Stockport. After an unbeaten streak including 10 consecutive wins so far, they are now in the play off places with a game to go. I hope Andrew gets another moment to cherish with his dad at Wembley.)

6 Likes

So the NFL Draft is in my backyard this year.

For the life of me I don’t understand it. They’re actually building a temporary facility and expecting 300,000 people with giant screens around the city.

I mean, it’s great they’re employing a ton of people to build this stuff but why? We have 3 perfectly good stadiums in the middle of Downtown, one can accommodate 65,000+.

They’ve even constructed giant signs on locally freeways.

Has it always been like this?

4 Likes

I sure hope the NFL is paying for all of this. And you’re right, it makes little sense with Ford Field being right there. For the actual assigning of players and such, why not Fox Theater or Masonic Temple?

4 Likes

Why not via Zoom or MS Teams or whatever?

7 Likes

im not crying youre crying GIF

5 Likes

No, it has not. This was a fairly recent effort to grab eyeballs (and ad dollars, of course) during the no-football part of the year. Pure greed in action.

4 Likes

One the one hand, I’m in favor of drawing visitors so they can see with their own eyes that Detroit is no longer a festering wound on Michigan and they should stop shitting on the city at every opportunity, but on the other hand, public money should not be wasted on such boondoggles.

At least this happening during a time of year that Campus Martius is not really utilized (the public park they parked that huge temporary structure over). Pretty sure they had to remove the tiny ice rink in March, at the latest, simply due to it being far warmer than a glycol system can keep up with.

5 Likes
9 Likes
8 Likes