General Sportsball thread

23 years ago today:

This broke the goal scoring world record set by Australia a few days earlier.

5 Likes

(hints of Alan Partridge)

4 Likes

Annual festival of horse slaughtering and bonny bonnets today.

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2024-04-12/horse-dies-at-grand-national-as-campaigners-call-for-tougher-safety-measures

2 Likes

8 Likes

Oh No Wtf GIF by LilLetsOfficial

But still, there’s that homeopathic property, where their muscles will remember having been male, certainly!

/s

8 Likes

I laughed, but my actual reaction is

Sad Kristen Bell GIF

I have zero doubt there will be a significant number of transphobes making that argument seriously.

8 Likes

I think they will accuse the trans women of faking their ability, just like that time when a team of trans women got hammered in a football game against Dulwich Hamlet Women.

The sexism involved in saying that cis women can’t be better never occurs to them.

8 Likes

You’re far more generous about their motivation than I am.

5 Likes

4-0 – the shirts must have been buzzing

6 Likes

Caitlin Clark was on SNL’s weekend update last night, and it was 
 chef’s kiss

8 Likes

They are not Neverkusen any more!

They have eight more games to see if they can become Neverlusen, winning the DFB-Pokal and Europa League along the way

6 Likes
5 Likes

Parker and her family took a moment to get photos and videos of her big catch before releasing it back into the Ohio River.

The 15-year-old New Richmond teen is waiting for official confirmation from the state of Ohio to see if the fish she caught is a record catch.

9 Likes

nice catch.
catfishin’ ain’t my style (reasons), but it is really cool that she released the fish. a hunnert pound cat is likely a very old fish. there is no f’n way i’m eating any part of that! disgusting! :face_vomiting:

11 Likes

If I go fishing in the future- I’ll only have a weight on the line for appearances. No hook. Sit back & enjoy the view.

6 Likes

What’s worse for eating about old fish? Build up of toxins, or ?

3 Likes

Mom went “fishing” as a teenager up in the wilds of Northern Ontario, where her father’s relatives had an outdoors-focused resort. She used a stick for the pole, a piece of string, a weed’s seedhead as bait, and nothing else. The fish hit it like crazy, much to her enjoyment.

One of her cousins came over, and saw how they were hitting it, but was surprised to see no fish onshore next to her. She explained she had no hook, and he offered to get her one.

He was thoroughly confused when she said it was allright, that she liked just watching them, and didn’t really fancy catching any.

9 Likes

catfish aren’t the cleanest fish, to start. given their sedentary (by fish standards?) nature in questionable waters and their - ahem - diet, i would rather this old fish swim away than hit the fry-o-lator.
i think it’s great the kid released the fish.
(edit typo)

8 Likes

When my family first moved to Alabama, my mother sought out “wild caught” catfish. One bite was enough; it tasted like the bottom of the Tennessee River smelled. Farmed catfish was just starting in the area (and is by now long gone to Mississippi), and that meal explained why.

6 Likes
8 Likes