General Sportsball thread

Man, I just cannot even begin to express how fast these guys are! Absolutely incredible.

6 Likes

Before Caitlin Clark: The hidden history of women’s basketball w/Diane Williams

When Iowa’s Caitlin Clark broke Kelsey Plum’s NCAA women’s points record, she was inaccurately named the highest scoring player in the history of women’s collegiate basketball. But another player, Kansas legend Lynette Woodard, had actually scored more points in her career as part of the pre-NCAA Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (AIAW). Clark has now also broken Woodard’s record, but the confusion owes itself to the hidden early history of women’s collegiate basketball. Professor Diane Williams of McDaniel College joins Edge of Sports to discuss this little-known early chapter of the sport.

6 Likes

The Football League is upside down
The Football League is upside down
We’re going up along with Fleetwood
And Portsmouth’s going down

It was nice not having to worry about going down into the National League this season.

6 Likes

Woke soccer.

Vasco da Gama, a Brazilian football club, made history 100 years ago by refusing to exclude 12 black and working-class players from their team. This courageous act was in response to discriminatory rules imposed by the Associação Metropolitana de Esportes Athleticos (AMEA). The club’s president, José Augusto Prestes, penned a letter known as the “Resposta Histórica” (Historical Response), asserting that Vasco would not compromise its principles. This pivotal moment marked a stand against racism and social prejudice in Brazilian football. The legacy of this letter still resonates today, and Vasco fans take pride in its significance.

In 1927, as a result of this episode, Vasco da Gama built the iconic São Januário Stadium, which remains in use for official matches. The club’s fight against racial discrimination continues to inspire fans, as reflected in the chant: “Eu já lutei por negros e operários / Te enfrentei, venci, fiz São Januário” (“I’ve fought for blacks and workers / I faced you, won, and built São Januário”).

[O que é Resposta Histórica? Motivo de orgulho para torcida, ato do Vasco completa 100 anos | vasco | ge (globo.com)]

8 Likes

Indeed. I wish I could swim like the slowest of them.

5 Likes

11 Likes
3 Likes

I understand none of that. Nothing. Not a phrase.

6 Likes

You mean why anyone here supports a fascist by posting Twatter links?

Yeah, meither neither. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

I’ll remember that next time I share anything from social media

5 Likes

Is that Randy Savage in the crowd? I thought he died years ago?

3 Likes

[The quirky Italian village where banknotes feature Maradona’s face | International | EL PAÍS English (elpais.com)]

[The B-52’s - Legal Tender (Official Music Video)

2 Likes

It’s the anniversary of Hank Aaron breaking Babe Ruth’s homerun record!

Greatest Of All Time Baseball GIF by Mason Report

12 Likes

Papa would be proud!

Randy Savage Wrestling GIF by WWE

I have to say that the ring entrances have become so much more dramatic since I was regularly watching pro-wrestling… I mean…

Wait… how was the entire match not thrown out when OTHER PEOPLE started to come into the ring, right in front of the REF… it turned into a Rock v. John Cena match!!! And then the Undertaker appeared out of nowhere and then disappeared again… How is ANY of that remotely legal? :laughing: Usually (back in the old days) the ref would end up not seeing it, or he’d be knocked out and that’s how they got away with those kinds of dirty tricks.

3 Likes

https://archive.ph/pk2Ok

“I went to a good Catholic school [and learnt] about Jesus and stuff … to paint me as some Nazi is completely untrue,” he said.

Sieben told Turner he had several Jewish friends, who “literally laughed” when he showed them the edited footage.

A police prosecutor told the court Lisica wore army camouflage and was seen doing the Nazi salute in CCTV footage, not on TV.

The court heard Gasparovic carried a “World War II era Nazi” flag at the match.

6 Likes

He was just doing a Mark Bosnich impression

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

ETA:

5 Likes

On that topic… this book is worth checking out if you can find it…

4 Likes

I love the Undertaker…

3 Likes
1 Like

from

Seth Meyers Yes GIF by PeacockTV

3 Likes