General Sportsball thread

This needs more attention from Sports reporting, but unfortunately, they’re cashing in on gambling too.

2 Likes
2 Likes
9 Likes

He took an endorsement deal with Impossible Foods & Nathan’s banned him.

4 Likes

Their current artist in residence is four-time Champions League winner, four-time German champion, Olympic gold medal winner former national team player [Josephine Henning] (Josephine Henning - Wikipedia) who has left the pitch in favor of art.

3 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Hopefully St Pauli can stay in the Bundesliga without him.

2 Likes

Australians keep England fans up all night

Excited Tom Hiddleston GIF by Disney+

3 Likes
2 Likes

Broad age range in the Gibraltar team

2 Likes

I’ve been wondering how to sort through the issues raised, especially racial ones, by Caitlin Clark’s WNBA debut. These two pieces have helped:

4 Likes
3 Likes

Good analyses. And for folks who have followed basketball with a critical eye, unsurprising. It’s the same folks who worship Larry Bird to this day to a humiliating extent. They trip over themselves to talk about how great Bird was and how he’d still be relevant in today’s game. I hate to break it to them, he wouldn’t. He was slow, a merely OK shooter, an excellent passer, and a freakin’ awful defender.

So what does that have to do with Clark, who is a game-changing shooter the way that Steph Curry was for the men’s game? Just that white people tripping over themselves over a white player who happens to be competent isn’t new and it isn’t good.

5 Likes

Larry Bird GIF by SB Nation

3 Likes

Lilly Singh Boom GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s cool I guess that Clark has brought so much interest to women’s b-ball, but white folks stanning so much over her simply wouldn’t be happening if she had the same skills but was instead black.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Another article, this time based on an interview with WNBA veteran Satou Sabally:

3 Likes

You can’t honestly support the French team over the last 30 years and also vote racist.

Fuck off. They don’t want you.

Choose France or the racists fuckers.

Reminds me of how an Algerian newspaper ran a headline saying an Algerian won the World Cup after Zidane led France.

A couple of weeks after the government they supported banned the use of Zizou’s cultural language in public. Because “you are all Arabs, Arabs, arabs…”

Anyway: what a wonderful European Championship so far! Cracking games and you don’t have to wait for the knockouts for competitive quality matches. And Ireland haven’t qualified as we are shite so I don’t have any futile hopes. Serbia and Austria looked great for much of their matches against France and England, Spain were excellent, yesterday Portugal and Czechia was enjoyable but the BEST MATCH OF THE TOURNAMENT! Was Türkiye v Georgia were very unfortunate to go down 3-1 to some cracking goals after hitting the bar a couple of times themselves and attacking with a flair and skill that made me glad Ireland weren’t there to drag the entertainment of the tournament down.

Oh and Germany just knocked Hungary out. Nothing against Hungarian people but the Hungarian FA are hand in glove with Orban.

Oh and Scotland have just scored to give them a chance of qualifying!

7 Likes