Generic 2016 US Election Cycle Recycling Bin

These young people rock. Watch the vid.

4 Likes

Rick Perry! Tom Coburn!

Yes, by all means thrown some more shitlogs into this garbage fire.

5 Likes

Cruz supporters keepin it classy.

4 Likes

`Merica.

2 Likes

Another poll result suggesting that both parties are leaning towards picking the least electable candidate on offer.

4 Likes

How about this for an electoral college result?

@codinghorror -is there a way for Discourse to display images embedded in tweets rather than just the text?

Nope, because that makes the embed variable height which screws up scrolling. We can only do fixed height embeds.

1 Like

Franken for Veep?

4 Likes

This thread closed this afternoon

But this seems relevant:

(I am pretty sure a former colleague of mine who’s a bit of an activist will have been here for this, might have to see if I can find him)

4 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve decided. I’m not voting for HRC in the general no matter what happens. I’m just tired of voting for the lesser of two evils at this point in my life. I’ve voted in every election since I was eighteen, and I’ve never been happy with the choices until now. Either the candidate and I share some fundamental values, or I don’t vote for them. It doesn’t have to be 100% overlap, and with Bernie, it isn’t. I’m only voting local if Hillary wins the nomination.

Yeah, I could theoretically vote third party. But after the hatchet job they did with Nader (“It’s your fault for not being loyal to a party you don’t belong to!”) I see no reason to discourage Americans further from voting for third parties. I’d rather smirk and watch them stand with their hands on their hips going, “Why do we only have two parties?” I’m not a Democrat, and I certainly don’t want to be one if that means my vote is worthless in the face of bullshit superdelegates. I owe the party no loyalty and with Debbie Wasserman-Schultz still head of the DNC, I’d actively like to see it fall apart almost as much as I’d enjoy the Republicans falling to pieces.

Does this mean I might contribute to a Trump win? In a sense. If Trump wins, my state voted for him and wasn’t going to turn blue for Hillary in a million years. It just doesn’t go to establishment Dems. The thing about Trump to remember, however, is that he’s inept and doesn’t know how the government works. I expect he’ll be a disaster, but that we’ll survive the disaster, and he’ll be a lame duck if he doesn’t get impeached first. My one fear is a confrontation between Trump and Kim Jong-Un. That situation is explosive.

Here’s what happens if Hillary wins: Nothing. She’s not going to inspire the kind of turnout that will necessarily have downstream momentum, she’s likely going to get stuck with another obstructionist congress, and as a confirmed corporatist we’re not going to see much change from the current status quo. Meanwhile, while Trump’s damage will likely only affect the country that voted for him and maybe Mexico, Hillary was the Secretary of State under Obama. We’re going to see a continuation of the Obama doctrine, which means we’re going to see people in countries that didn’t vote for her die. Hillary’s record as a hawk is nigh indisputable, and I see no reason that we’re going to see any kind of improvement in the disposition of various national surveillance programs. None of this is stuff I want, so I see no reason to vote for her either.

Fundamentally, I only see one candidate with any kind of agenda I’m actively interested in pursuing. Asking me if I want to eat shit or drink piss and telling me that if I don’t choose, the choice will be made for me doesn’t incentivize me to pick one. Yes, one is probably a lot worse, but no, I don’t want the other and I’m not going to reward your efforts so that you offer me the same choice four years later. That’s not progress, it’s not even incremental. It’s stagnancy, and I’m done with it. So Bernie or bust, and if you think for one second that I’m happy that there’s one choice out there for me, you’ve got another thing coming.

Here’s a pretty video to counter some of the sourness and pessimism in this post.

9 Likes

7 Likes

That video… wow.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Kasich doesn’t like Fargo?

I knew there was something really wrong with that guy.

3 Likes

I don’t think #trumpmovement sounds like a good thing.

Has Scott Baio always been an arse?

3 Likes

Well, he called the women over a jezebel “lesbian shit asses” so I’m going with yep on that count.

12 Likes

Sounds like Tim Canova is doing okay in his primary challenge against Debbie Wasserman Schultz. Fundraising-wise, at least. And Obama endorsing her last week suggests some nervousness.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/04/debbie-wasserman-schultz-primary-challenger-raises-500000/

3 Likes

Interesting historical perspective on the rise of partisanship in the U.S. House of Representatives, shown visually.

Summary:

Political Polarization in the U.S. Congress has been a topic of much discussion recently. We show the party polarization of the House of Representatives through time, with a focus on which members continue to participate across party lines (such as southern Democrats from Alabama, Mississippi, Texas and Louisiana cooperating with many Republican voters in the late 1990’s and 2000’s).

1 Like

I think we all missed this guy, who is running for president:

http://andy2016.com/proposals/

I found him in this interview Gawker did with Sean Young, where she says she is supporting Trump, because he’s less criminal than Hillary or the Bushes:

2 Likes