Ted Cruz quits Republican race; Trump is presumptive nominee

[Read the post]

10 Likes

I know, and she will never get the irony.

23 Likes

I saw you practicing your joke on twitter.

I prefer El Regā€™s though:

Nate Silver continues to demonstrate that while heā€™s good at statistics, he isnā€™t especially good at politics.

Iā€™m an unforgivable Marco Rubio fanboy who wonders what would have been if Rubio had a better debate in New Hampshire, knocked Kasich out, won a few more states on Super Tuesday, and emerged as Trumpā€™s main opposition instead of Cruz. To some extent, Rubio would have combined Cruz and Kasichā€™s strengths, while also having more support from party elites, potentially making him more of a consensus choice as the rest of the field consolidated.

Apparently getting the Dem race wrong by something like 15% is okay, too.

Following up on Nate, this wouldnā€™t be a shocking polling error in Indiana. Right now, Sanders is holding a 4 percentage point lead in Indiana. Yes, none of the pre-election polls had Sanders winning. And yes, the average of polls taken over the past three weeks had Clinton up by a little over 7 percentage points in Indiana. But before the Wisconsin primary, I calculated that a poll before a caucus or primary had an average error of 11 percentage points. In other words, right in line with the error there appears to be in Indiana right now.

5 Likes

Ooohhhh mannn. . . does this mean thereā€™s not going to be a brawl at the RNC? Disappointed.

21 Likes
16 Likes

There is, our there, the platonic ideal of the ā€œMay 3, 2016 Carly Fiorina layoff quipā€ and I canā€™t rightly say Iā€™ve seen it yet.

23 Likes

What are we gonna do with all this popcorn?

8 Likes

Elections not over. Iā€™m sure they will find a way to be jerks to someone.

15 Likes

Soā€¦running mate : Palin or Christie? or Giuiani? (theyā€™d never win NY anyway, so why not?) Morninā€™ Joe? Jesse Ventura?

Also, I posted this elsewhere but it should go here too.

10 Likes

Anti-Trump protesters could try to disrupt (and I hope they do).

3 Likes

Hi there.

7 Likes

today is a good day! Heā€™s going to go on to crush Clinton in the general, stop TPP, and bring jobs back for all of us :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think this was inevitableā€¦

Still the biggest question is: is he going to be against Bernie or Hillary?

Vile rightwing shit of beyond-satire proportions vs an actual different option or a fully brought-and-paid-for status quo candidateā€¦

If itā€™s vs Hillary, with her vast boneyard of skeletons in the closet, this is still potentially extremely terrifying. And i say that as someone living on almost the opposite end of the planet.

19 Likes

I am sure he and many others would love that, but Trump looks increasingly likely to win the nomination outright. You need someone who is actually running in the primaries to win delegates.

2 Likes

Now for the running mateā€¦

Palin! Palin! Palin! Palin!

Do it!!!

Otherwise the campaign will just be stupid and nasty. She would make it much more entertaining.

Come on, Captain Comb-overā€¦you know it would be just the ticket!

ā€¦And so do we!

14 Likes

Cruz must be exhausted from trying to breathe oxygen for this long.

And to smile without exposing his second row of teeth.

32 Likes

Indiana is an outlier, because thereā€™s practically no polling information available. Thatā€™s because the use of auto-dialers and auto-response recorders are prohibited by law.

Silverā€™s bread ā€˜nā€™ butter is polling analyses, but that requires that thereā€™s some polling to analyze.

5 Likes

He clocked his wife in the face at his concession speech (twitter video)

1 Like

Well, we already know he hits his children.

2 Likes

As was pointed out to me by someone whoā€™s worked in campaigns before, Cruzā€™s concession doesnā€™t mean Trump gets the delegatesā€¦ and itā€™s possible he can pass them along to Kasich with the full cooperation of everyone in the GOP whose name doesnā€™t rhyme with ā€œDump.ā€

Not that I think Kasich is any more qualified to run a lemonade stand or be entrusted with nuclear launch codes than Trump is.

4 Likes