Ted Cruz quits Republican race; Trump is presumptive nominee

And his father is connected to Lee Harvey Oswald!

4 Likes

Trumpā€™s going to have > 50% in the first round, so even if everyone else with pledged candidates tells them to vote for Kasich or whoever else, it wonā€™t matter.

Itā€™s amusing that the Dems might end up with a contested convention (at least on paper) while the GOP wonā€™t.

Maybe thereā€™ll be a surge of registrations for the Libertarians now? (and the Greens once Clinton is utterly inevitable?) Gary Johnsonā€™s asking for votes tonightā€¦

2 Likes

I think it is disturbing. I really disliked Cruz, but at this point it looks like the only viable candidates are people who are likely to actively try to destroy the country. I suspect that people in the future will look at us as people who had the highest standard of living, and the most egalitarian society ever, but just threw it away.

7 Likes

If it helps, iā€™m mightily fed up of the UK repeatedly electing Tories to asset-strip the country for profit of the 1%ā€¦
Active hatred/destruction of your birth country is certainly not exclusive to the USAā€¦

11 Likes

I donā€™t think Clinton is actively trying to do anything. Thatā€™s kind of her whole campaign.

12 Likes

My joy at the demise of ā€œTerd Cuzā€ is tempered by the knowledge that heā€™ll try again and heā€™s still a senator.
Oh and also Trump is a megalomaniac lunatic.

12 Likes
5 Likes

I wonder if or when we will see traditional Republican supporters disown Trump. Quite a few powerful people may decide that they have little to fear from Clinton. It may be debatable to what extent Wall Street controls the Republican party, but it sure as hell isnā€™t the other way round.

5 Likes

Trump and Palin!

which can be rearranged to

Mr Punt Anal Dip!

9 Likes

What chance Merrick Garland gets that SCOTUS hearing now?

2 Likes

TWO posts about Trump, and not one about Bernie (yet)? COME ON.

6 Likes

When there is a part of you rooting for Ted Cruz, something is fucking wrong. For the record, I think heā€™d be a horrible president - even worse than Trump. But I donā€™t want to live in a world where Donald Trump has a reasonable shot at being president.

8 Likes

I agree. There are plenty of politicians working against the best interests of their citizens. Merkel, for one great example. When I said society, I was really referring to western civilization in general. I find it incredibly depressing. I honestly would not be surprised if our grandchildren laugh at us when we tell them that we once were united and disciplined enough to put men on the moon.

3 Likes

Palin would be his more likely choice. As impeachment insurance.

8 Likes

I think she would sell the Declaration of Independence to the Chinese if they made the right donation to the Clinton Foundation.

2 Likes

I hope none for two reasons: 1) The more obstructionist the Republican politicians are, the worse for their upcoming elections, and 2) Garland is a shitty choice for SCJ.

1 Like

Might as well sell it - we donā€™t seem to be using it any longer. ā€œReduce, Reuse, Recycleā€

8 Likes

Jesus Christ, what fucking idiot decided to trap Control-F browser search hotkey and tie it to the web siteā€™s search? One of the worst web UX decisions Iā€™ve ever seen. sigh

13 Likes

Ye gods how depressing is that statementā€¦ sadly itā€™s very trueā€¦

A lot of the old space program was based on one-upmanship, but at least it had good outcomes.
Nowadays politicians seem obsessed with short-term private profit over anything else, long-term research is actively discouraged :frowning:

4 Likes

THANKS, TRUMP.

10 Likes