Originally published at: Genesis story of the KONG dog chew toy | Boing Boing

10 Likes

This is a very important history lesson

8 Likes

I was sure that it was based on an anal plug /s

5 Likes

What a great story! I had no idea. All our family’s doggos love their Kongs

2 Likes

Kongs are pretty damn impressive with their resiliency.

4 Likes

I had heard the story and seen the VW part; it seemed to follow. but I would only repeat it as an apocryphal story. until now!

2 Likes

Yah, they first made the rounds of recommendations through vets because they are basically indestructible. Something that no other dog toy is in the face of a large breed. We’ve had one Kong that survived two Labs, a Golden Retriever, and now our Husky has it (though it’s on its last legs now- if you hold it up to your ear like a seashell, it says, “kiiillll meeeee”)

4 Likes

I am missing some bump stops, and when I went to replace them, the part is 150 bucks each. May try to shoehorn a couple of these in there.

4 Likes

The first time I saw a Kong I recognised it as being a jounce stop off a Beetle and surmised that something akin to the story above must have happened.

I’m feeling an unusual smuggish happy feeling right now.

4 Likes

I have a ton of experience with these. I work at a custom rubber compounder that made the rubber for these for a couple decades. They are a very high quality dog toy and in fact, are formulated to be safer than many products intended for human food/drug use.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.