Gentleman asks a court for a legal sword fight with his ex-wife to settle custody and property tax disagreement

My first thought was how many Ren-faire/SCA guys I’ve known who would absolutely make such a suggestion. My second was sovereign citizen. My current thought is how much overlap there is.

3 Likes

Trial by combat? Sounds great for that POTUS impeachment thing. Can we have Nancy Pelosi vs. Donald Trump, please?

3 Likes

I would instantly volunteer in her place…

Yeah, you can’t really “ban” something that was never legal in the first place…

Whack-A-Husband.

Ooh, careful - you might get a surprise.

I was listening to audio from one of the recent Trump rallies, where he kept going on and on about Adam Schiff being a “pencil neck,” and all I could think was, “That’s a weird thing to say about someone who is clearly in much better shape and could kick the crap out of you if he were so inclined…” But yeah, Pelosi could probably take him, too.

7 Likes

Dual wield, of course!

6 Likes

They could probably settle this on a golf course provided that someone keeps an eye on Trump so he doesn’t cheat.

3 Likes

There’s no way I’m clicking that link at work.

4 Likes

I think that the judge should at least bear The nature of his request in mind when deciding the custody issue.

3 Likes

Weird. “David Ostrom”… A decidedly non-Japanese name. Does anyone other than me think it’s weird that he wants to fight with katana? (and apparently doesn’t already have them, which would imply training as in Iaido etc…)

yes /s people…

The guy has obviously been watching too many samurai movies. He also must have missed Kill Bill and Pride & Prejudice & Zombies.

2 Likes

Of course, murder is a crime in state not federal law (unless the duelists face each other across a state line or something) so theoretically a state could legalize dueling…

In practice, Kentucky requires all state officeholders to swear that they have never fought or otherwise taken part in a duel with deadly weapons, and has done since 1812. I wonder if any Forty-Eighters, or later graduates of German universities with a tradition of academic fencing, got into trouble based on this.

(I suppose you could argue that schlagers aren’t deadly weapons as there’s no intention to kill, but that’s kind of stretching the definition…)

1 Like

I think non-lethal dueling should be legal for some civil matters. Let’s face it, that’s what people actually want. Nobody wants to have to pay someone to spend years jawboning. What they want is to take the other guy and whop the bejesus out of him. People use lawyers and courts because they’re forced to, because they know they’ll go to jail if they do what they actually feel like doing. Dueling would do something that no lawsuit can ever do - give people a REAL sense of satisfaction and completion.

I was going to object to your earlier characterization of the sap as not-a-weapon. If the woman was a practiced combatant I think it might be okay, but I see how the sap can easily end up being a rope for a tug-of-war which is not a great spot to be in.

That said, if I were that woman, I’d go get a sandwich and leave the man in the hole. I have no idea what the rules would have actually been to prevent the woman dragging the fight out to outrageous lengths.

6 Likes

Yeah, getting past all the “fun” details, this feels pretty much just a guy wishing for the good-ol’-days when you could legally physically abuse and intimidate your wife into submission…

2 Likes

Why don’t they try padded bondage paddles?

1 Like
2 Likes

@Carla_Sinclair Please correct text of post. It is ‘duels’ not ‘duals’. Of course, two duels (four people) would be a dual duel.

5 Likes

Ooo…using a woman’s most powerful weapon - patience. Nice.

1 Like

blink

What the hell was that?!?

1 Like

Or in this case an even more powerful weapon, the ability to go outside of the other person’s reach when you need a nap.

3 Likes