Gentleman in red MAGA cap disrupts flight

I wonder if I’d have the courage to wear a red “CWAA” cap? It seems to me a guarantee of getting beaten up by both ends of the political spectrum: angry Trumpites who suspect (correctly) that you’re mocking them, and angry liberals who don’t read the message before swinging the first punch.

5 Likes

It is a sad fact that, in the Donald Trump era, it has become difficult to tell the difference between politics and mental illness.

I concede that it seems as though Trumpism (and conservatism in general) has become a haven for legions of angry, paranoid, and belligerent people, and that Trump’s ascendency has empowered particularly heinous public expressions of such inclinations.

I don’t know if this man suffers from acute intoxication, dementia, psychosis, simple asshole-ism, or chronic Trumpism, but I do believe that it is a particular sin of Trumpism to deal in insensitive, shallow, politically-confirming stereotypes based on anecdotes and correlation. I feel like connecting this guy’s behavior to his apparent political preference may be… too much like “them,” I suppose.

I don’t feel like this guy deserves much empathy, but I also don’t think it is helpful to the cause of Trumpist opposition to hold him up as an examplar of Trumpism.

3 Likes

I’ve been doing Type 1 diabetes wrong all this time! I don’t get belligerent when I’m super low, just a bit disoriented and unfocused.

1 Like

The MAGA hat entitles him to free legal support courtesy of Hair Führer the taxpayer.

I kind of suspect that the angry liberals who fly off half-cocked are more likely to start shouting at you than swinging, though.

I keep thinking that the more accurate (and hat-ready) summation of Trump’s policies and agenda would actually be, “Death to America,” but I know I sure as hell wouldn’t wear that.

2 Likes

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you - the next Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration…

6 Likes

63 milion voters.

“Death to America” is good, but maybe “Democracy is for Wimps” also expresses an important part of the core belief-set.

4 Likes

Just what I needed to read a few hours before getting on a United flight out of Shanghai. I’ll be on the lookout for stupid red hats.

Defined by Wikipedia

Redcap:

A red cap or redcap, also known as a powrie or dunter, is a type of malevolent, murderous dwarf, goblin, elf or fairy found in Border Folklore. They are said to inhabit ruined castles found along the border between England and Scotland. …

They are depicted as sturdy old men with red eyes, taloned hands and large teeth, wearing a red cap and bearing a pikestaff in the left hand.

13 Likes

. . . and waiting to take your luggage.

5 Likes

Sounds good in theory… except that your ‘gunshot wound’ doesn’t make my ‘knife wound’ any less painful or less life-threatening; and we’re both still bleeding all over the place.

5 Likes

Another scary way of thinking about that, apart from the large number, is they account for less then twenty percent of the U.S. population.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, their strident screams of babyish outrage (amply demonstrated by this gentleman) have drowned out the other 80%, who are probably more comfortable with the kind of reasoned cooperation and compromise unknown to the right wing.

1 Like

Correct. I should have said you perceive your life to be better off if there’s someone lower than you on the totem pole. “Sure, I might have been stabbed, but at least I wasn’t shot!”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.