Gentleman rides electronic Harley-Davidson and likes it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/15/gentleman-rides-electronic-har.html

10 Likes

A lot of ponies for a lot of price.

5 Likes

~$30,000 msrp…oof.

that is a seriously tough pill to swallow. Traditional gasoline bikes are so fuel efficient as is, it is really hard to justify that cost. $15k-18k would have been more manageable IMO. even pushing to under 25k would have been tough but acceptable.

6 Likes

I sure hope that sucker has a torque limiter (perhaps a rotary accelerometer) because the stall torque of a motor that strong is enough to flip the whole thing faster than human reflexes – any human reflexes – can control it.

8 Likes

The price is part of its attraction.

3 Likes

I was expecting Harley style

1 Like

The video mentions an anti-wheelie feature, which was my first question too.

And “gentleman”? Unfair.

10 Likes

unfortunately, very probably true.

And purists who would never pay that much for a bike anyway will argue that because this thing doesn’t have the roar that wakes up the neighbors, its garbage anyway.

1 Like

For some riders, it’s only about image. Take away the sound and they’re no longer a bad ass.

5 Likes

There it is.

There was a guy in my old neighborhood who got up at the crack of dawn to ride his Harley to work. It was like a WWI biplane taking off every morning.

I’ve been told the noise is for safety, so drivers know you’re nearby. I was told this by a guy who takes his helmet off as soon as he crosses the MA/NH border.

12 Likes

Yeah but you can ride this one indoors!

4 Likes

You can ride the other ones indoors too. You’ll just get in trouble, unless they are your indoors.

5 Likes

It has one, but perhaps not quite what you’d expect given the marque:

I got a chance to rev one up at a local music festival a few weeks ago. It is very quiet and scarily launches you to 60 mph in seconds. It feels like rubber band power, like you are at the end of a long bungee cord and suddenly released. Boooinnng and you are going 60 mph. No clutch is interesting but handy as you will probably be using the horn a lot for GTFOMW signals. The rear brake is a right foot pedal. It feels like a big bike and it is built around what I assume is the lego like giant battery block. Also, it is interesting that it does not get hot.

I can’t wait until someone makes a battery powered moped or super scooter for under $10k.

6 Likes

Did anyone spot what the range is on this thing? How far can you go on a charge? I couldn’t find that figure anywhere.

Why wouldn’t you spend the extra $10,000 to get a nice bike that underperforms a Zero SR-F? It says H-D on the ‘tank’!

A lot of ponies for a lot of price.

So, a Harley then. At least they’re on brand. How do they get an electric bike to leave an oil stain where it’s parked?

7 Likes

I’m thinking I’d like to convert it over to a Honda motor so I can piss everyone off

2 Likes

I’ve never bought the “loud pipes save lives” argument. I’ve noticed when turning onto a road, while waiting for a Harley rider to pass, that by the time the bike is audible that it’s too close to stop safely.

Those loud pipes are great for letting people behind you know you’re there, but it’s the cars in front that are the real danger - and that’s just as true on an absolutely silent bicycle is it is on a Harley with straight pipes.

8 Likes

I’m waiting for Triumph or Norton to build the first electric bike with powerplant by Lucas.

7 Likes