Gentleman with fake electrical outlet sticker bedevils people in need of charging their phones

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/11/gentleman-with-fake-electrical.html

1 Like

Erys is pleased with this offering.

(Or, “Something something dis-cord something something.”)

5 Likes

Stick a few in the parking lot.

Or put them around an airport terminal. Oh, wait…

5 Likes

A fairly harmless prank…but the older I get the less I like pranks, many or most of which are about being mean to people for fun.

34 Likes

I agree, with the exception of something karmic like placing these at Mar-a-Lago or a convention center where the RNC is meeting.

16 Likes

My brother made these out of plaster and put them up around his college campus back in the day. They looked even more realistic because they had physical depth and thickness. He’s got a great picture of one of them about four feet up on a boulder.

15 Likes

Maybe try the “Dr. Strange” effect, stick about 5 of these around a real outlet and watch people fail and fail until they get the right one. That way they get their free electrons but they have to jump thru a few prank hoops first.

5 Likes

Put a fake one beside a real one, and then every day randomly move it (or don’t) to the other side.

4 Likes

I’m willing to bet that the origin of these stickers is not for pranks, but to pass causal inspections at construction sites.

2 Likes

aka, the USB prank

2 Likes

I’ve seen one of those stickers at an airport slapped on a column and even before walking up to it i was suspicious. That said i was very amused by it

4 Likes

I’ve learned my lesson from these things, now I stick a metal paper clip in every outlet before I try it, just so I don’t look like a fool.

43 Likes

I’ve put these stickers all around in my home. Really saves on the electric bill.

14 Likes

I preferred the old Richard M. Nixon Memorial Toilet sticker. Bu it deserves updating.

1 Like

This is kind of a “pulling wings off bugs” kind of “prank” where it’s just mean for its own sake.

I guess it’s a step better than putting up fake directions to bathrooms, or styrofoam made to look like fire extinguishers.

8 Likes

The first one was on the side of a planter FFS.

It’s been a shitty day, I thank you sir for the lol.

2 Likes

Fuck pranks and pranksters. All of them, forever.

8 Likes

Too bad Bugs Bunny didn’t come along. He’d surely be able to plug his laptop in, confounding the prankster (who would obviously sputter like Yosemite Sam while firing twin pistols into the ground). Daffy Duck, on the other hand, would find some way for this to lead to an explosion that would see his beak blown to the back of his head.

15 Likes

Hmm…I have a multi-national adapter with a retractable set of US prongs. That and some double sided foam tape and I could just seem to plug right into one of these prank stickers… :thinking:

5 Likes