Geologists on the impossible logistics of the 1,000-mile Great Wall of Trump

So a physicist, and engineer and a mathematician are all trying to build a pen to hold sheep. They want to use as little fencing as possible.

The physicist says, “Well, the shape that encloses the most area with the smallest perimeter is a circle,” so he builds a circle around the two sheep most distant from one another.

The engineer says, “That’s terrible, you wasted so much fence.” She gets a stick and runs around, herding all the sheep into a small group, and then builds a circle around them.

The mathematician takes build a small circle of fence around themself, and says, “I declare myself to be on the outside.”

The things you could do with autocratic rule and no expectation that you’d value human life!

24 Likes

You can skip this section (pic from my visit to BBNP last April)

Mexico is on the left, US on the right.

24 Likes

I was Googling for a map view image of the White House grounds so I could suggest a better place to build the wall.

Then I saw this and decided it was much funnier, although possibly not for the originally intended reason:

3 Likes

So. . . they’d begin building it in the heat of the summer . . . in the Sonoran desert?

Maybe the real intent is to kill off all the forced labor they use, be it captured Mexican immigrants or US convicts.

7 Likes

It’s been pointed out by a lot of people. I’m afraid it would have to be pointed out by someone Trump trusts. Like, say, Alex Jones.

Maybe if the notion could be phrased as a loopy conspiracy theory…

3 Likes

I think the real intent is to make this country so shitty nobody wants to come here.

14 Likes

Also … if they build the wall he better hope Mexicans don’t discover boats. Not to cross the river but the gulf.

4 Likes

The physicist would first assume that the sheep are perfect spheres in a vacuum…

7 Likes

Make America Shitty Again?

MASA!!

4 Likes

Trump acknowledged this in a speech once. I think I saw the clip on a late night talkshow. He said something to the effect of: “People say a 30 foot wall will just create a market for 31 foot ladders, but when you climb to the top of that, what are you going to do? You’re stuck up there.” then he paused and added, “I guess you could use a rope.”

This was at one of his campaign rallies.

23 Likes
16 Likes

Or discover Mexico airport.

2 Likes

They don’t give a shit if the thing is structurally sound, keeps out “the bad guys”, or improves national security. All they care about is that the damn thing gets built. The future is other’s people’s problem.

3 Likes

Thank you very much.

3 Likes

Not a bad thought. Get Hollywood to build it. Maybe they can pull out the backdrops for The Truman Show from storage. The Gibbon can play on the set for ever and the rest of the world can get on with our lives.

5 Likes

Don’t forget the cost of repairing the parts of the wall that will inevitably get blown up.

3 Likes

8 Likes

This project would surely be a boon to Trump’s corporate buddies hired to build the wall. They could stretch it out forever and pile up huge cost overruns. It might also prove a boon to the thousands of undocumented immigrants hired to do the actual work.

10 Likes

One congressional district accounts for 800 of the 1900 miles of border. Guess what the congressman’s take is.

12 Likes

It’s just a figurative wall. Where the soil is not able to support a wall there are other means: minefields, vast stretches of razor wire, automatic firing devices, deadly drones etc.

Perhaps Trump should call Merkel again - we got some experts for walls we no longer need nor want.

2 Likes