Smugglers are sawing through Trump's border wall with a $100 cordless cutter

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/02/smugglers-are-sawing-through-t.html

7 Likes

But they bought the cutter at WalMart so igual igual.

17 Likes

Mr. Gonzales, tear down this wall!

12 Likes
3 Likes

Looks like they got the gang back together.

11 Likes

21st century solutions to a 13th century policy!

30 Likes

But his beautiful slats!

10 Likes

62 Likes

A Great Big Beautiful wall defeated by a cheap ass Sawzall.

Trump is an idiot anyone that voted for this wall is an idiot anyone that thinks the wall is even close to impenetrable or any real kind of barrier is an idiot.

Sawzall is pretty easy. Even if this thing were made of stone a thermobaric lance would cut right through it the same as it cuts through even ground when they chop out a bridge with one.

Maybe if you had a 50-foot High solid Earth berm wall 20 ft thick, it might have done something.

In the end there is no wall on Earth that has ever not been breached or could not be breached by basic portable technology like a Sawzall, dynamite, or a thermobaric lance.

This whole thing is a waste of money and a giant middle finger to every value I was raised with as an American

32 Likes

32 Likes

subtlety must be the name of the game. the ability to hide the breech from border patrol.

cause, if not. dynamite sure would be funny.

maybe it’d leave too much debris to be passable? ( and anyway i guess more expensive than a sawzall or a ladder )

2 Likes

In fairness to Trump, he is too racist to believe people south of the border are capable of using simple tools, so there’s no way he could have seen this coming.

22 Likes

Solid cast iron would work better against recip saws but grinders with diamond blades will make real quick work of it. I’ve cut more than my fair share of steel, cast iron, and decades cured concrete. I’m not surprised to read that my suspicions based on my experience that the wall would be easily breached are correct.

9 Likes

Incidentally, Makita reciprocating saws really are the way to go. Not sure what it is about the motors/gears in them, but they’re more stable than the other brands I’ve tried. That said, for saws I prefer plug-in. Things eat even the big 5aH batteries like they’re going out of style.

10 Likes

To cut through the border fence with one of those, you’d have to bring a gas generator or a REALLY long extension cord.

7 Likes

I have this scene playing in my head of smugglers drawing the line at tool theft!, and standing in line at Home Despot to buy the reciprocating saw and extra-long cords of the correct voltage.

9 Likes

Even that probably wouldn’t work. Too much power loss for DC over the kind of length you’d need.

1 Like

Are you slat shaming?

I didn’t realize that enough of the wall had been built to enable circumvention. Off to Wikipedia for some background.

“Waddaya mean, they cut the power? They’re animals!”
Power

17 Likes

A portable generator on the back of a pickup would be quick and easy, and fairly quiet. Not that i am suggesting anything, of course…

12 Likes

20 Likes