Smugglers are sawing through Trump's border wall with a $100 cordless cutter

Trump didn’t think of this flaw, and he thinks he is the smartest person ever, so how could he have imagined that someone else would have thought of it before him.

11 Likes

My ancestors took the stone from Hadrians wall to build their homes. It would be fitting if the same were to happen to Trump’s wall.

32 Likes

Whereas anyone who knows anything about who actually works in construction (as a developer, he never had to directly deal with the filthy labour as he sees them) would know that these are exactly the people with access and knowledge of how to use these tools.

22 Likes

Knowing Trump’s devotion to shortcuts, I don’t know why any builder would want to use such shitty materials in their own home construction.

9 Likes
6 Likes

Very cool.

That said:

Mal beat me to it.

9 Likes

Thanks for the little history lesson. I love reading about humans passed. To many people do not study history and because of that we make the same mistakes over and over again. If you want to see what nationalists do to a country just look at Germany starting in 1936 or so. Maybe the Germans had a great economy at the cost of Jews and others groups the Nazis did not approve of But look how long that lasted and the millions of people who were tortured and killed for no good reason but power.

2 Likes

Actually, both the Great Wall of China and Hadrian’s Wall worked fairly well.

For their intended purposes.

Which were NOT to prevent immigration, but, in China’s case, to prevent horse-mounted Mongol troops from crossing the border with their horses, and in Hadrian’s case, to prevent the Scots-Irish Border Reivers from returning from cattle raids with stolen cattle.

(They also served secondary functions like funnelling trade through customs checkpoints, collecting intel on people’s’ movements, and so on. But they were primarily about stopping livestock, not people.)

10 Likes

The Reivers came a bit later.

So in Hadrian’s time, it was Picts or it didn’t happen.

40 Likes

Great way to start off your reply; it really makes me want to listen attentively to whatever you might have to say…

Until they didn’t.

I never said a word about immigration, nor about any intent at all;

I just posted a pithy meme demonstrating that historically speaking, walls fail.

Good day.

10 Likes

Ok who put electric outlets every 10 meters on the wall spec?

21 Likes

“Once more, unto the breach!”

3 Likes

Yeah… the Great Wall really didn’t work, either…

"The Great Wall’s daunting appearance should have been enough to make possible invaders think twice about their intentions. Aside from this, there were also archers positioned all along the wall, making it more of a threat. Unfortunately, invaders often decided to simply ride around the wall.

There were also large garrisons manning the wall’s larger gates, with the purpose of keeping invaders from breaking in. But again, unfortunately, during the most crucial stages of Chinese history traitors willingly opened the gates for the enemy.

The Great Wall served well in the times of the first emperor, as all invaders were effectively kept out of the country. However, one might argue that it was more due to Qin Shi Huang’s great armies and their achievements on the battlefield, rather than the effectiveness of the wall.

Rulers of the Han Dynasty hoped that the wall would offer them the same protection that it had for the first emperor, but this was not to be. The Xiongnu up north grew even stronger and in 200 BCE overran China, looting and plundering.

The weakened Han Dynasty could not provide enough men to guard the wall, and the Xiongnu simply took control of one of the main gates and entered the land without much trouble.

Overrun by Mongols
The Xiongnu invaded Shanxi and besieged Taiyuan, and after several skirmishes the Han emperor had to marry off his daughter to the Xiongnu ruler in order to make peace. The Chinese had to accept the Xiongnu state as an equal, and based on an agreement the Great Wall started to act as a border between the two states.

After a few hundred years, the Xiongnu faded into history and the Great Wall was effective enough to keep random barbarian looters away. But when a real danger arose, the Great Wall was again nothing more than a scarecrow.

Such a situation developed during the late stages of Song Dynasty. The dynasty was politically divided and in a feeble state—the same could have been said about the Great Wall.

At first the land was overrun by Jurchens, who conquered the capital of Song Kaifeng and imprisoned the whole imperial family and its court. This led to the establishment of the Southern Song Dynasty, which was founded by the remains of the imperial court.

At the same time, the Jin Dynasty on the northern border had to hold on against offenses from Mongols led by Genghis Khan. By this time, the Great Wall, built by hundreds of thousands of workers, had collapsed in many places. At some point, Mongols were able to find a part of the wall that they could simply ride over.

Mongols overthrew the Jin Dynasty, took control of northern China and soon wiped out all other Chinese dynasties as well. By the year 1271, the Mongol Kublai Khan declared the creation of the Yuan Dynasty, which ruled with a heavy hand over the Chinese until 1368.

The traitor’s gate
The Great Wall was briefly revived during the Chinese Ming Dynasty, which drove out the Mongols and started thorough rebuilding of the wall so that they could never re-enter Chinese territory. The Great Wall we know today is mostly the creation of the Ming Dynasty era. It was a large-scale rebuilding project, and all too pointless.

The Mongols never came back, but in truth they hardly even tried. By 1644, the Ming Dynasty was about to collapse, and at the gates of the Great Wall was a new powerful enemy – the Manchus.

We will never know if this would have been the great moment for the wall to write itself into history, as the battle for China never took place. General Wu Sangui, who was in charge of protecting the country, decided to switch sides and opened the gates of the Great Wall to the invaders in the Shanhai Pass."

20 Likes

I was sure from the title that this either be an ad from the BB store or include an affiliate link.

17 Likes

I think Spizella meant amperage. My neighbour bought a 100’ cord of the recommended guage for his small mower. The cord weighed more than the mower (and probably cost more).

5 Likes

#needsallthelikes

19 Likes

Thermal lance would be impressively effective, and it’s probably the fastest and cheapest option - can be made just from scrap metal and pressurized oxygen tank like the one used for oxyacetylene torch.

4 Likes

Carpenter friend of mine had one of these as his go-to fixit tool. Like when he needed to cut nails deeply embedded in two pieces of wood. That narrow blade just went into the available space and cut them. Importantly it would do the job in seconds, allowing everybody to keep working.

8 Likes

He was trying to give you some historical and engineering knowledge your glib post didn’t contain. Any fixed defensive structure is only useful when it is actively defended - that is why those structures had such defenses, and were thus useful for long periods of time.

If walls didn’t work, no one would build any.

3 Likes

Pity that his attempt was factually incorrect, then; isn’t it?

I don’t comment here for your approval; if you have an in issue with what I post, then feel free to ignore me.

9 Likes