Geologists on the impossible logistics of the 1,000-mile Great Wall of Trump

I recall NPR interviewing a pro-wall higher-up on this matter a few weeks ago. He said that ‘the wall’ would not be an actual wall at all* but rather a vastly increased number of border stations and checkpoints–in short, a continuous, thousand-mile panopticon.

He also acknowledged that this vast expansion of border operations would mean a greatly increased federal budget allocation for all of the extra border agents and staff.

*Well, that was Dr. Seussy.

8 Likes

Panopticon is a word that has been used by Boeing to describe their failed solution. Just say’n. I am betting that Boeing is back in the wall conversation. What’s another couple of billion tax dollars wasted to a greedy defense contractor?

4 Likes

If that were true, I’d be tempted - except that the wall will do ecological damage and economic damage as most of it will end up being on privately held American land as well as dividing cross-border towns.

There have been a few attempts at shoring up the border security with real and virtual fences - all of them have been far more expensive than expected and thus ended up being much smaller than initially planned as well. This isn’t going to be any different…

Well, there’s the fundamental problem, right there…

Oh, it’s worse than that - reality is other people’s problem, as far as they’re concerned.

Much of the border area is far from any roads, on extremely uneven terrain you couldn’t drive over. Getting there isn’t particularly easy, much less building anything there.

Gold lamé?

4 Likes

Lets put the posts and rails on the outside.

1 Like

Also shovels, in areas where the bedrock is more than 10cm below ground level.

3 Likes

Probably the same logic our local council used.
Apparently the busiest retail period of the year is the perfect opportunity to dig up the entire town shopping area* for a renovation…

*Not kidding, they started in November, maximum disruption took hold mid-December…

3 Likes

He could just walk around it, via the Gulf or the Pacific.

6 Likes

I personally think he should use the time remaining to put resources together and disappear. But the Russians must surely be keeping a close eye on him. Any move towards a coastline or a border may activate a response from security services.

1 Like

Jesus?

1 Like

Snowden can’t walk on water but you can go a long way on a sea kayak if properly prepared. Getting away with the preparation in Russia is unlikely to work.

4 Likes

Corsica still barren and uninhabited?

1 Like

If we can get the Norwegians on board, Bouvet Island sounds perfect.

1 Like

Saint Helena

3 Likes

Middle eastern looking guy with no documentation? Not bloody likely.

6 Likes

Ripped Korean Jesus would be ok, though.

Or 21 Jump Street Korean Jesus

10 Likes
9 Likes

The issue with sea kayaks in weather is that the methods for recovering from a capsize are mostly unreliable. I did enjoy the article you linked, but I do think he probably got lucky, as far as weather and seas are concerned. I have a bunch of time with whitewater and sea kayaks, but I am way on the side of outrigger boats now. I keep one on the ship for exploring and dive trips. I just have it lowered off the stern when we are anchored or drifting, and it is the thing that keeps me sane. I guess this is somewhat off topic, except that it is the obvious solution to getting around the wall, assuming someone is watching for ladders.

my OC-1-

8 Likes

He said that ‘the wall’ would not be an actual wall at all

except frump himself said multiple times on the campaign trail that no, he means an actual wall.

5 Likes

Could always pull a Kevin Costner and use a trimaran

6 Likes

You have to admit that it’s a pretty cool visual. But talk about light pollution!

3 Likes