Trump's border wall will fail, according to engineering report

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/04/trumps-border-wall-will-fail.html

7 Likes

Written in 2006 yet guttingly apropos.

:musical_score: … We build the wall to keep us free… :musical_note:

Really hard not to imagine a blasted, devasted landscape in this song’s intro:

The Shame of Donald Trump.

25 Likes

Hands up everyone who thought that trump’s wall was ever intended to be an actual functional wall in any regard beyond photo-ops. Like all trump endeavors it is a barely indirect way to channel money into trump coffers, (no bid tax-payers funded contracts to a contractor who builds cheapest possible Potemkin wall and diverts trump a large percentage of the profits)

34 Likes

O wait, Mr. Gorbachev, never mind, the wall collapsed on its own.

Mr. Gorbachev, clean up the rubble from this shitty wall!!

25 Likes

I take issue with the comparison to a second hand Yaris.

Toyotas are exceptionally well built. I confidently predict that in the future, when the world finally comes to an end, whatever dominant life form is still around will be driving 1992 Toyota Corollas.

36 Likes

That was beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

John Oliver discusses fisher and all the other grifters involved in the wall scammery

23 Likes

Here in the U.S., we’re all living in Hadestown now.
With apologies to William Gibson, I’d say it’s just not evenly distributed… yet.

8 Likes

Another bait-and-switch for the born suckers from America’s foremost public grifter.

15 Likes

One of America’s most expensive trump props.

9 Likes

Right? An expensive but unreliable wall that will fall apart if it rains? Sounds more like a lambo rather than a yaris to me.

14 Likes

45 had a rally in Latrobe, PA yesterday and I got to hear some of my neighbors’ reasons for supporting him on NPR this morning. One lady proudly crowed “Promises made, promises kept!” and stated he’d done everything he said he would. I thought of this wall, then about a hundred other things, then I thought about how sad it was that she sees him as a hero. Then I thought about how much I don’t like my neighbors.

33 Likes

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/british/be-seen-to-be-doing-something

… the “something” the U.S. public is asked to consume serves so many politically expedient purposes: lining the pockets of the co-grifters, dog-whistling and red-meating, triggering environmentalists, owning the libs, “job creation,” xenophobia, uniting the U.S. rightwing base against “non-Americans,” resumé padding prior to November’s presidential election, ad absurdum ad nauseam.

It’s a damn xmas list for Cult45 playing Santa.

Any real actual facts about the border wall will be gaslighted and faked-news to death.

I am sure the Dems will send very sternly worded letters.

At the risk of really regretting this later, my guess is that Kamala Harris may be the only Democrat of significant standing who can even manage to take the gloves off and fight the bastards on their own terms.

Biden’s hands will be therefore clean and he can continue to portray himself as electable and decent and palatable.

She will be held back by trepidatious campaign staffers and handlers, but–and I say this sincerely–good luck to her saying The Things That Must Be Said and on a national stage in front of as many major news networks as possible.

10 Likes

If you’re trying to sell something to Trump, it’s probably a good pitch to call it the “Lamborghini” of whatever stupid shit he’s in the market for.

9 Likes

My 2010 Prius begs to differ. Toyota used to build incredibly reliable cars.

[e] More on topic, though, the engineering prof’s analysis probably won’t get a lot of air time on the major networks. Some producers will stick it in their back pockets for when the wall fails.

10 Likes

I dunno. Seems like this part of Trump’s wall is going up pretty fast and efficient.

10 Likes

How do you get those juicy contracts?

Over promise and under deliver.

4 Likes

It’s all highly dubious, but the part of that presentation which touts the supposed environmental benefits of not using precast sections is hot dogshit. Also really cool how they seem to have no plan for the inevitable inconsistent settling and shifting which will occur. Just a continuous wall with no control joints. Cool cool.

11 Likes

“They are cutting corners everywhere” because they need it to be done by election day.

The wall isn’t being built to keep immigrants out of the US, the wall is being built to keep Donald in office.

14 Likes

I read an article on the rally that I won’t post because it makes me sad/angry/frustrated.

Instead, I’ll point out that I drank a lot of this in my younger years:

6 Likes