George Floyd Justice In Policing Act, Democrats' police reform bill, passes in House & heads to Senate

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/25/democrats-police-reform-bill.html

“House approves sweeping police overhaul from Democrats, responding to national outcry over George Floyd’s death.” — AP

4 Likes

And once it reaches the Senate:

13 Likes

There’s probably going to be fierce debate, but no doubt before it’s done, the only difference is the Democrats reform bill pays 100% lifetime pension to any officer fired for murdering civilians. The Republicans bill wants to pay 120% lifetime pension.
Don’t think for a minute anyone will ever be held accountable for his actions.

4 Likes

I’d still like to hear the Republican Senate have to go on record explaining why they refuse to ban things like chokeholds and racial profiling, if only to make them carry those albatrosses around their necks for all time.

20 Likes

just prepping the next headline:

George Floyd Justice In Policing Act, Democrats’ police reform bill, tabled indefinitely in the Senate

4 Likes

This bill doesn’t really go very far, and yet I believe the Senate will probably think it’s too extreme. What a shame.

2 Likes

If you look through a list of the bloodiest, most destructive American riots of the last century or so you’ll see that the majority were triggered by bigotry-driven police violence. (The remainder were mostly labor related, including some that were a combination of racist violence and labor).

The unrest happening in communities across America is part of a bill we will keep paying year after year, generation after generation until we finally make a real effort to address the underlying systemic problems.

17 Likes

Don’t worry. McConnell will just pretend he didn’t see it on his desk for like, however many years corrupt republican tortoises live. Then the bill dies without ever being brought up.

He’s very proud of not doing his job. Especially when it’s listed in the constitution as the job he’s required to do. Perhaps the laziest american alive.

9 Likes

Oh, they will raise concerns about process or constitutionality. Just like Goldwater.

5 Likes

Goddamn it, I’m SICK of people flagging posts before I get a chance to. I’m just too slow on the draw.

6 Likes

AFAIK, it only takes 3 flags from TL3 or higher members before a post is hidden for moderation.

7 Likes

Used to just be one

/sniffs ruefully/

5 Likes

TL3, is that for real? Now I feel like a plebe Scientologist looking sadly at the Celebrity Centre.

3 Likes

I’m sure that the very aggressive, much responsible news media will make sure they’re held accountable. Probably be in the news cycle for a triumphant hour or two.

1 Like

Michael Harriot has been writing a lot on the bills including delving into what can be done federally and what can only be done at the state/local level

4 Likes
3 Likes

Unless it was a spam flag I have never been able to hide a post with just one flag while TL3 even before the lounge implosion.

I tend to not use the spam flag unless it is legit spam or a new account obviously here to be a dickweed.

2 Likes

Hmm, I think I fulfil all of the criteria for being a TL3. Maybe I already am and never knew it. Shouldn’t it come with some sort of visible aura? People do stare at me in the street … but that’s probably because I wear my Spiderman underpants over my jeans instead of against my nether regions.

3 Likes

Awesome read, thanks very much for posting. I “liked” your post but that didn’t seem quite enough payback. (By the way, I’m Canadian but am following US police reform because (i) it’s interesting; and (ii) Canadian police are very obviously influenced by their more macho southern cousins.)

2 Likes

No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.

3 Likes