George Lucas explaining "Jar Jar Binks" to Robin Williams

I mean, when I was at the theater folks were definitely cheering during the Battle of Endor. Folks loved the Ewoks!

It was just that dumb song that stank.

6 Likes

Getting other directors obviously paid off big time with “Empire Strikes Back”. The difference in quality is jarring in all respects. Empire also understands one thing that other movies lack, genuine darkness ( the scene where Luke sees his face in a decapitated Darth Vader head, losing his arm etc)… The Empire does indeed strike back.
David Lynch recounts the story that Lucas offered him “Return of the Jedi”. I have thought about making a youtube video to explore this but I am way to lazy…
But the idea is certainly intriguing : )

3 Likes

It’s not the Ewoks as much as the saccharin, “wholesome” tone while the ghosts of three jedi knights smile benignly whilst sitting on a log. Luke almost porked his sister ( how we laugh) but my main complaint it it goes on WAY to long…

6 Likes

Not Listening Season 5 GIF by Friends

2 Likes

I have always been surprised that a Star Wars:ROTJ Despecialzed/Dewoked was not made available. Just ROTJ with every Ewok scene cut out. Just speeds the show up.

1 Like

holy christ…

2 Likes

And again, because he didn’t write Empire. That’s why that one is a sophisticated adult story. Episode IV is sorta okay. It coasts on the novelty of the “dirty space” setting, but the actual writing isn’t very good and the acting is hard cheese from all but the major stars. All the rest of them are completely awful writing-wise. Lucas is a good director, but he’s a terrible writer. Star Wars would be a lot better series if he had figured that out and been willing to share his ego.

5 Likes

I think I must have been part of the target audience for the Ewoks because I liked them when I saw the movie as a kid in 1983. I even sat through both of the godawful made-for-television Ewok movies.

I don’t think I’ve met Star Wars fans of any age who were big fans of Jar-Jar.

7 Likes

My belief is that if you saw Star Wars in its original theatrical release you do not like Ewoks. If you did not see it then and started after Empire or even RoTJ were out, you like them.

I do not know why. I will say that one of my earliest memories is my younger brother being TERRIFIED of Chewbacca during Empire and my parents having to leave the theater with him. I, however invested in LaserDisc with the hope it’d allow me to skip all Ewok chapters. That and I think Buckaroo Banzai are my only laser discs.

1 Like

I did see the original Star Wars in the theater but I believe it was when the movie was re-released around the time of Empire.

3 Likes

Original theatrical release, I once would have considered you a millennial.

1 Like

David Lynch is a fantastic director, but there may be a reason why he hasn’t gone back to scifi. Choosing Dune over ROTJ was either a bullet dodged for Star Wars fans or we may have missed out on what may have been the most interesting, strange, and defining Star Wars we would ever have seen. In Room to Dream Lynch shares that there were certain constraints he had to work within for Dune that one could say certainly impacted that film. Lucas as a producer may not have limited Lynch as much. I just don’t know if that would have been the best result.

4 Likes

I saw it opening day, and I love ewoks!

9 Likes

I seem to remember people in the theater cheering when they were fighting and winning.

4 Likes

I saw the original in the theatre (dragged there by my parents because I had no interest in seeing it … boy was I surprised). I was indifferent to the Ewoks but was old enough to appreciate the Vietnam analogy.

3 Likes

I saw SW in78 and loved the Ewoks. Never understood the hate they get. Yub nub!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.