George R. R. Martin and Marvel are working on a project together

Originally published at: George R. R. Martin and Marvel are working on a project together | Boing Boing

4 Likes

The thing I remember most about Wild Cards is that there was a girl that slept with people and could change them, and she got raped repeatedly by jokers(I think hey were called) with detrimental mutations to try and change themselves.

It didn’t really leave me with any desire to see more from it.

12 Likes
9 Likes

Real easy, he didn’t write most of Wild Cards. He was mostly the editor initially (from 1987-93). There were two full length novels towards the end of the run he wasn’t involved with at all.

His input with the last book series (from 2008-present), was relatively minimal.

6 Likes

george rr martin GIF

Seriously, George. I know, as Neil Gaiman has said, you’re not our “binch”… but FFS, man. Please finish those last two books.

Anyways, I’m sure this will be great, too. :pensive:

5 Likes

Even if he did they probably would be a disappointment if they came out now. The big twists were already revealed in the TV show, so either we’d get “new version of the story we’ve already seen” or maybe “entirely new events that feel like a forced attempt to erase the later seasons of the TV show.”

Plus we’d all have a harsh reminder of what an unlikable asshole the book version of Tyrion is.

6 Likes

That’s me. I’ve read all the books that are out but when the TV series was done that was it for me.

I’m also sure that the disappointing “King Bran” ending is straight out of the outline Martin gave the show-runners.

3 Likes

Except that the last book ends in a slightly different place than the show… Jon was still dead, but there was another Targaryan at play who had already arrived in Westeros ahead of Daeneyrs (at Dragonstone, no less). The situation with Iron Islands was pretty different. And let’s not forget Lady Stoneheart having Brienne kidnap Jaime. So while some of the major story will be the same, the road getting there is going to be different. Maybe that doesn’t matter to you, but it actually does to me, since I enjoy the world building and the way the characters interact with that world…

Honestly, the biggest problem with the shows is that they moved away from exploring the universe that Martin created (such as with indepth “road” trips the characters went on) to focus on the individuals being fucked up. I’m interested to see how the world he built ends up thanks to the actions of the characters, rather than where the characters end up.

Game Of Thrones Drinking GIF by Sky

Don’t care.

6 Likes

I’ve been reading the Wild Cards series since almost the beginning and would love to see more from this universe, but … well, this “project” has been done already – at least twice before that I can recall.

8 Likes

Is the project called “No you cannot haz Winds of Winter, lol”?

6 Likes

I’ve given up counting on ever seeing them, so if he finishes them, it’ll be a nice surprise to hopefully overwrite HBO’s last act.

9 Likes

hmmmmm

a good article:

with the key take-away: “George R.R. Martin is not your b*tch.” - Neil Gaiman

but otherwise - yeah, sure

1 Like

I’m not so sure of that. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the TV show went sharply downhill as soon as it ran out of book. Someone else coming in and making their own path between the bullet points of the outline can come up with something almost completely different.

(That and I’ve never bothered watching the show. Why would I when more books are coming out? I sure as heck don’t expect the show’s version of unwritten books to be BETTER.)

1 Like

Oh you sweet summer child.

7 Likes

People look at me funny when I say it’s my favorite book series from the mid-nineties

6 Likes

The existence of a bad or different screen adaptation is common enough that I compartmentalize them and can understand they’re just different stories. Bakshi and Bass/Rankin Tolkien and the Peter Jackson Hobbit movies designed to set up video games hasn’t stopped me from re-reading Tolkien, and the existence of Hasselhoff Nick Fury, and Clooney Batman hasn’t stopped me from wanting to see their more recent iterations.

3 Likes

What? You didn’t like the beginning of The Reign of Bran the Merciless?

5 Likes

4 Likes

My version includes Bran warging in to Drogon and flying north to destroy the lair of the White Walkers; and Arya strangling Cersei, while wearing Jamie’s face. RR Martin can use those ideas if he’d like.

“Jamie don’t need his face no more,
Jamie’s in a heap outside the throne room door,
I’m looking through Jamie Lannister’s eyes,
I’m looking through Jamie Lannister’s eyes.”

4 Likes

I’m not convinced that Jaime is going to make it back to King’s Landing in the books at all.

8 Likes