George Santos confesses to theft in Brazil, must pay fines and restitution

Originally published at: George Santos confesses to theft in Brazil, must pay fines and restitution | Boing Boing

6 Likes

When the American prosecutors bring this up in his trial, it will be pretty funny watching Devolder’s lawyers claiming it’s irrelevant.

5 Likes

In most US courts previous crimes can’t be introduced during a trial. It may be used in the sentencing phase.

2 Likes

I know. The prosecutors will still give it a try, the objection will be sustained, and it will still be funny.

3 Likes

Ah but here’s the rub, you have to have hired a good enough lawyer to know that.

3 Likes

My first thought was: if he clears his name in Brazil then he could avoid charges here by skipping out of the country and heading back there. But I’m not sure how extradition laws work in his case (I believe he’s claimed dual citizenship, but as with everything Santos, probably not true.)

3 Likes

If you are a dual citizen, one country cannot defend you from the law enforcement of your other citizenship.

3 Likes

As I understand it Brazil has an extradition agreement with the USA, but does not necessarily have to extradite one of their own citizens. If he does have dual citizenship (I’m pretty sure he doesn’t so all this is moot) then in theory he could try and renounce his US citizenship once he was in Brazil. Chances are Brazil would extradite him anyway if the USA asked.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.