George Santos flashes “white power” sign during Speaker vote

Brazil is a little busy right now. please hold and a representative will be with you shortly.

25 Likes

Yep. It’s time that the former GOP adopts a new icon:

It won’t end well for him, either way… apparently he never heard of what happened to Quisling.

Brazil should request extradition & we should honor it, ASAP.

8 Likes

Last time I remember this hand signal making news was during the kavanaugh hearing where they accused a Jewish (I suppose also “jew-ish” and possibly Jewess) woman, descendant of a holocaust survivor, of flashing the signal when she just happened to put her fingers on her leg that way…

I still don’t understand how scuba divers are supposed to say they’re okay anymore…

4 Likes

I get the feeling that the guys in the white robes and pointy hats might not think ole George is white enough and that the last name of “Santos” seems a little too brown to join their club.

3 Likes

means he likes bagels.

1 Like

Same hand sign, only in a totally not racist way.

6 Likes

Scuba instructors point out that the correct way to indicate that one is OK is either to use the hand symbol in a straight-up orientation – not down and sideways as Santos did – or else if on top of the water to touch either one or both hands (depending on whether or not carrying stuff) to the top of the head as if making a giant heart symbol.

An ‘OK’ symbol as Santos did it would not be considered correct. If something were wrong, to make it hard or impossible to make the OK symbol correctly, well then by definition the diver should indicate that they have a problem.

11 Likes

Or it is an intentional effort to change the major news story about him to one with more widespread Republican support.

5 Likes

I’d think the okay symbol is usually held up and the circle between thumb and forefinger are more rounded.

Yeah. Right?

6 Likes

Oh no. Until I actually saw this picture I didn’t realize this was now a white power symbol. This is the problem with getting old. I don’t use an okay symbol very often but I sure hope I haven’t flashed a white power symbol at anyone recently.

1 Like

Try doing what Santos did. You’ll see how difficult it is to use your non-dominant hand, twist it, and hold it across your mid-section like that.

If someone is doing exactly this, it’s purposeful, not an accident.

10 Likes

Oh, I have no doubt. That was nicely posed to go along with his vote. I wasn’t suggesting there was any accident involved in him giving that signal (he’s a loser looking for a tribe, and they are a tribe looking for losers). I was just observing I had missed this change.

It’s like my dad when I was growing up. He was always using the word prophylactic to refer to doing anything in a preventative way. But we were peak-AIDS and “prophylactic” was only used for condoms by then and I was always cringing and hoping no one I knew heard him say it… And… now I’m the old fart who is in danger of flashing white power signs.

5 Likes

I worry about this too. For my parents, it was the word “oriental” that they never managed to quite give up. They meant no harm and felt bad every time we explained they shouldn’t be using it, but they were old and it’s hard to stop using a word that was commonplace for most of their lives (not good, but commonplace). I wonder what words like that I am currently using that I shouldn’t be. I know I’m not as in touch as I used to be and I can feel the gap widening every time I talk to my young nephew.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.