Prosecutor opens investigation of Long Island liar-elect George Santos

Originally published at: Prosecutor opens investigation of Long Island liar-elect George Santos | Boing Boing

21 Likes

If Santos’ skills at hiding money are as good as his ability to tell a lie that holds up under the slightest scrutiny, he may yet end up in prison.

The political implication to this story, I think, is how totally useless New York Democrats are.

Their complacency and incompetence and lazy inertia are in large part the reason the GOP now has the House majority. Ocasio-Cortez is in office despite them.

California’s Dem Party has the same problems for the same reasons, and sooner or later they’re going to screw themselves (and everyone else) over too.

35 Likes

Follow the rubles.

28 Likes

Yeah. Money from his company, illegal, and where did it come from in the first place?

28 Likes

Don’t most government jobs require you to affirm that the information you have provided is correct? Checking a box is not exactly being sworn in, but there have been lawsuits over less.

16 Likes

People get deported for less.

18 Likes

If He was deported, Brazilian Justice could reopen His fraud case and the victim could finally sue Him and get His money back.

28 Likes

I like Beau’s take on how this has been covered and the message it sends about the GOP. The focus on the opposition just undermines it:

24 Likes

The political implication to this story, I think, is how totally useless New York Democrats are. A job club with no political pulse, no agenda beyond winning primary elections against people who haven’t paid their dues, and no ability to identity and campaign on such obvious and overwhelming flaws as Santos’s.

This is the real kicker. When I mocked the election of this outright fraud on another forum, somebody tried to disregard it since the press didn’t discover it until after the election. Man, if only there were somebody who had a vested interest in this guy not getting elected! Maybe they could even BENEFIT if he were not elected. We could call this person an “opponent”.

21 Likes
15 Likes

I could see the Dems not paying much attention or financing to a safe republican district. Had this come out during the primary, it might have resulted in a different MAGAt being nominated. Does anybody really believe that it would have resulted in a dem being elected?

(Looks like he got 54% of the vote, so maybe not a “ruby red” as it has been depicted. Maybe would have made a difference? Maybe? Given that low information voters seem to form the core of the MAGAt demographic, still not sure it would have.)

17 Likes

I do love this man’s take on the world.

9 Likes

New GOP strategy of “running for office as a fictional character.” Like a demented supply-side politics in which conforming to reality is seen as a burdensome tax on their ambition.

10 Likes

He’s gone from Jew-ish to “you wish!”

4 Likes

That sucks. If we must have a Santos in politics, let it be Matt.

1 Like

Brings to mind professional wrestling.

5 Likes

Is there anything he’s told the truth about? Is his name really George Santos?

7 Likes

The next candidate to do that will dismiss their critics as morons for confusing the character with the actor, because of course every candidate has a persona and backstory crafted to appeal to the right voters and how stupid could anyone be to comment on politics without knowing that?

13 Likes

Call me an optimist, but I think if you have a viable claim that everything on your opponent’s resume is a lie, that may swing some voters. I mean, 20-20 hindsight and all, but they DEFINITELY could have at least gotten some media attention.

14 Likes

New? Next? Reagan has entered the chat…

GIF by US National Archives

Ronald Reagan Photoshoot GIF

18 Likes