Georgia college students started burning books because someone called them white

You use the extra blank pages(s) in the front and back. Bibles work great, btw, because they’re usually rice paper (low acidity).

4 Likes

Show the students “Gentleman’s Agreement” with Gregory Peck. Understanding antisemitism is kind of like a Rosetta Stone for opening the mind on bigotry in general.

1 Like

It’s little misleading to say that Georgia Southern is not diverse based on the 6% hispanic population. The student body is also 25% African American and is a relatively close approximation of the general population living in southern Georgia.

For reference, the UC Berkeley student population is only 3.6% hispanic and 2.8% African American—not even close to the ethnic makeup of the Bay Area.

Book burning does not send a good message, but it is pretty ridiculous to stereotype an entire university based on the actions of some students. I teach at another Georgia institution, and it is one of the more diverse student bodies I have encountered in higher ed.

Sources:
Georgia Southern student body: https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/georgia-southern-university/student-life/diversity/chart-ethnic-diversity.html
UC Berkeley student body: https://opa.berkeley.edu/uc-berkeley-fall-enrollment-data

2 Likes

Who are you even responding to?

I don’t think anybody has said that Georgia Southern isn’t diverse.

People aren’t criticising the overall census make-up of the student body, they’ve been criticising those white kids specifically and the culture that made them feel comfortable enough to act like baby bigots.

Nobody’s even used the word diversity so far.

8 Likes

I went with a copy of Norton’s Anthology and Coleridge’s “Kubla Khan” since I was an agnostic English major and didn’t own a bible but wanted a sizeable paper.

2 Likes

But that’s for smoking opium!

11 Likes

Which are provably bullshit

Some land-crabs of the West Indies and North America combine in large swarms in order to travel to the sea and to deposit therein their spawn; and each such migration implies concert, co-operation, and mutual support. As to the big Molucca crab (Limulus), I was struck (in 1882, at the Brighton Aquarium) with the extent of mutual assistance which these clumsy animals are capable of bestowing upon a comrade in case of need. One of them had fallen upon its back in a corner of the tank, and its heavy saucepan-like carapace prevented it from returning to its natural position, the more so as there was in the corner an iron bar which rendered the task still more difficult. Its comrades came to the rescue, and for one hour’s time I watched how they endeavoured to help their fellow-prisoner. They came two at once, pushed their friend from beneath, and after strenuous efforts succeeded in lifting it upright; but then the iron bar would prevent them from achieving the work of rescue, and the crab would again heavily fall upon its back. After many attempts, one of the helpers would go in the depth of the tank and bring two other crabs, which would begin with fresh forces the same pushing and lifting of their helpless comrade. We stayed in the Aquarium for more than two hours, and, when leaving, we again came to cast a glance upon the tank: the work of rescue still continued! Since I saw that, I cannot refuse credit to the observation quoted by Dr. Erasmus Darwin—namely, that “the common crab during the moulting season stations as sentinel an unmoulted or hard-shelled individual to prevent marine enemies from injuring moulted individuals in their unprotected state.”

Peter Kropotkin - Mutual Aid A Factor of Evolution

10 Likes

http://www.pisab.org/

https://undoingwhitesupremacy.org/resources-for-anti-racist-education-and-organizing/

11 Likes

This atheist liberal is rather shocked that you tore pages out of a book. The bible is still a book, no?

6 Likes

The world can probably spare a copy :wink:

Although it is impossible to obtain exact figures, there is little doubt that the Bible is the world’s best-selling and most widely distributed book. A survey by the Bible Society concluded that around 2.5 billion copies were printed between 1815 and 1975, but more recent estimates put the number at more than 5 billion.

11 Likes

I suppose any verses any thing inhaled would be…um…“inspiring” :wink:

3 Likes

riiiight… non fiction.

14 Likes

heh, I didn’t even notice that. Was just looking for a number!

7 Likes

They need to know where to gerrymander. /s

Actually adding race as a category in the U.S. Census was done as an attempt to quantify and possibly control the number of non-whites, or anyone not of “Anglo-Saxon stock” and preferably not Catholic, due to the hoards of the then non-white European Irish, Poles, Italians, Ukrainians, Italians, Greeks, Sicilians or horrors Jews. Any of the large numbers of refugees fleeing whatever famine, war, or pogrom of the moment. The Irish, even though they started arriving in large numbers during the Potato Famine of the 1840s only really became acceptable as “white” during the twentieth century. The 1920s perhaps. Adding Black people was just a bonus because if other Europeans were not considered actually white or true Americans well…

This is a reason why most Americans before 1920 or so, would be looking at the current debates over racism or white privilege with confusion.

2 Likes

The Bible is also one of the books most often stolen from bookstores. Which isn’t what you’d expect… but it’s true.

(I spent a lot of time working in bookstores.)

12 Likes

People who desire power over others will do whatever it takes to keep that power. Authoritarians want to remain authoritarians no matter what. There aren’t many anarcho-communists who became far right because doing so is contradictory in a way that switching from tankie to fash isn’t.

Apart from that example, horseshoe theory is bullshit.

10 Likes

“switching from tankie to fash”. Pardon me. What the heck does that refer to?

Seems to me strange the use of the race in the US.
It’s a proxy of the origin of the people, and used as a proxy of the wealth of the people.
I like that Italians are twice in the list, and the fact that there are Italian Jews, actually in Rome the real locals are Jews. If you want to eat the real Roman food search a kosher restaurant. Besides sicilians are Italians too…

Fash: fascist.

Tankie: epithet used to describe some segments of the left, in allusion to Western communists who spoke in support of the Soviet invasion of Hungary (i.e. “you support the tanks rolling into Hungary”). Depending on the speaker, the word “tankie” might be used to describe (a) literal Stalinists, or (b) anyone to the left of the social democrats.

It’s a term mostly used during internal squabbles of the radical left, but it gets occasionally referenced by liberals as well.

10 Likes

“Tankie” originally meant British communists who supported USSR crushing the Hungarian Revolution of 1956 (and later the Prague Spring of 1968), and basically means people who support or want authoritarian leftist regimes in the vein of Stalin or Mao. And “fash” obviously means fascists.

And like @the_borderer is saying, there is a history of authoritarian leftists “flipping” to become authoritarian right-wingers, and vice versa, because the authoritarian personality traits are deeper and more fundamental to these people than the right/left political positions.

7 Likes