Georgia governor activates National Guard troops after Atlanta unrest

Originally published at: Georgia governor activates National Guard troops after Atlanta unrest | Boing Boing

4 Likes

That sounds as if the officers neglected to give Tyre Nichols a bottle of water. Savagely beating someone to death should get a stronger description.

35 Likes

“Alright, everyone, we’ve gotten to have our violent, murderous fun, so it’s really important that everyone else is really peaceful now.”

24 Likes

“long-simmering local anger at a lavishly-appointed new police complex” also needs a stronger description: The police shot and killed a demonstrator against Cop City not ten days ago. Their name was Tortuguita.

31 Likes

It is going to be interesting tonight and next week. They fired AND arrested these cops within a month. (Funny how fast they can move against cops who aren’t white, but I digress.) They are not making excuses but saying the footage is really bad. Already pleading for there to not be riots.

It has to be pretty goddamn bad and I imagine it is going to prompt protests even greater than those prompted by Floyd’s death. I think the level of violence required to beat man to death in 3 minutes is going to be significantly worse than anything else we have seen from footage of cops.

11 Likes

I couldn’t help but think the same thing.

10 Likes

Yet another example of how trained cops can carry out violent attacks on innocent citizens but untrained civilians are expected to remain calm and protest peacefully.

15 Likes

Even when the cops in question are Black:

This is America.

18 Likes

The Onion “joke” about it really isn’t a joke:

22 Likes

Jesus, I needed stitches from that satire.

6 Likes

I think The Onion has just given up on satire and is reporting straight news that just looks like satire.

22 Likes

There really seems to have been this phenomenon, after Trump was elected, that the Onion’s headlines, at the very least, increasingly just described reality. And not just for stories about Trump, either - it seems like the Trump presidency broke satire in general.

16 Likes

I won’t be watching it.

1 Like

:roll_eyes:

12 Likes

Gee, the cops don’t like people having violent reactions to their excessive force meted out upon the citizens. The cops are surprised to be victims of their own consequences as always

2 Likes

at this point people should be calling 911 when they see cops. not sure who should show up though

7 Likes

Deja vu.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.