Georgia man films tornado as it rips his house apart

Originally published at: Georgia man films tornado as it rips his house apart | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Every fiber of my being was set into panic mode watching that video. I will repeat the warning in the tweet, louder: DO NOT DO THIS!!!1111!1!1!eleventy

And this video leaves me with so many questions. Did this guy just move to the deep south? Has he never been caught in a tornado-like situation before? As in, does he not know that the sky turning green is the planet’s way of saying “it’s almost too late for you to find shelter”? Did he ignore the temperature dropping 20+ degrees in a matter of seconds? Is he a raging idiot?!?

21 Likes

I should ask, “Why did the video stop there?” but I think (hope) that it’s because he realized it was time to to get the hell out of there.

14 Likes

cow tornado GIF

14 Likes

When the universe decides to show you some of its might and power up close, it can be stupendously terrific, causing you to freeze up mentally and become incapable of almost anything other than watching.

A few years ago, I heard a lot of what sounded like up-close thunder and wind roaring, and saw flashes of light through the windows. I thought at first the mains across the street had gotten fouled again, but I couldn’t see anything until I went out the back and looked straight up. There was a constant roar of thunder by this point and the flashes were about every half second. When I looked up I saw what was clearly lightning jumping from place to place within a whirling ball of dark-grey cloud. I must have stood there watching it pass directly overhead and pass to the northeast for a good 15 minutes before I realized what I had just seen and ran inside. It was so intense, if I had had a camera with me I suspect the video would have gone viral, but this was before waterproof cameraphones were really a thing. It was, indeed, a tornado forming up that would knock down a bunch of trees in a forest, but that was all.

I should have recognized the “rotating cloud in sky” as dangerous and run inside to the strongroom, but I focused instead on the lightning trying to figure out what that meant. I’ve searched around YT a few times to see if anyone has captured a similar phenomena yet, but it seems to be a limited to once-in-a-lifetime pock.

16 Likes

7 Likes

We lived in west Texas when I was a kid, & dust devils are relatively common during the summer.
One fine day, one formed up across the street, so I decided to catch it.
Found out a dust devil doesn’t have to be opaque in order to do a fine job of sandblasting bare skin.

13 Likes

I think I heard him say, “There went the roof!”

10 Likes

I totally appreciate this guy risking his life for that video… that was pretty sick.

3 Likes

Hmmm, isn’t that the video of E.Musk taking at the Twitter board meeting after he bought all those shares?

1 Like

The tail end of this vid was shown on our local news this morn. He was locked out of the clubhouse at a golf course.

15 Likes

Many Bothans died to get this TikTok.

4 Likes

It is windy, you are likely to be eaten by a gazebo.

Gazebo

15 Likes

I used to garden for retired lady nearby… after the eighties incident…
a make shift garage (not brick) moved down the drive… and certain dustbins
disappeared… but that was then… and this is now…

2 Likes

As someone who was born and raised in Tornado Alley, you sir, are an ijit.

5 Likes

I, for one, welcome our new gazebo overlords.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Just for the record, nobody should be taking video of a tornado instead of seeking shelter…
but happy to post it for the views.

2 Likes

Dammit, too big to post, so here’s a link

For everyone who missed it:

He doubtless figured that if he was likely to get killed by the thing, he may as well roll vid.

3 Likes

Sorry, but “big tornado coming” excuses anyone if they break a window to take shelter.