Ghostly Avatar Workshop - We Make Ghosts Here

Want a shiny, unique ghostly white avatar? You request 'em, I make 'em.

Example, based on @renke

This is a thread for image-making only. Post requests and finished images here.

4 Likes

Yes, please.

I don’t know how good my normal one might turn out…Let me know if I need to choose another.

1 Like

Sorry for the tardy response! I aim to please. Are any of these three close to what you imagined your avatar as in ghostly-style? This is but a first draft, please select a best candidate and provide feedback on how you want your ideal one to look.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure on my phone, but now I definitely like the lightest one on the right.

Do you have an easy way to embiggen it?

Thanks!

1 Like

I can use the Scale4x algorithim once I get out of business meetings - should have one up in about four hours. Sorry for the wait.

1 Like

Don’t be! And thanks.

1 Like

Do you have a copy of the source image your avatar is adopted from? It may be easier to work from that!

1 Like

The URL of the avatar in SlyBevel’s posts is

https://sea1.discourse-cdn.com/boingboing/user_avatar/bbs.boingboing.net/slybevel/45/154692_1.png

and the image is

Futzing with the image URL, I discover that the server gives us whatever size we ask for.

For instance, the URL

https://sea1.discourse-cdn.com/boingboing/user_avatar/bbs.boingboing.net/slybevel/500/154692_1.png

produces

We should be able to perform this same transformation on any avatar image URL.

2 Likes

Thank you!

more to follow

EDIT:

edit 2:

still a bit of noise to clean up, I’m afraid

edit 3:
slightly less noise

edit 4:
ninja’d

2 Likes

The one I picked almost blends in with the top bar where my own avatar appears.

I like it, thanks @tinoesroho and @smulder!

3 Likes

Am I colorblind or something?

SenorSchaffer<-------sees nothing

3 Likes

I bet you get the new one if you hit my profile page.

1 Like

If you see nothing, that is the point of going total ghost. Sly’s current av is a partially-transparent, desaturated version of their original avatar. :wink:

2 Likes

Have I been impolitic in not going full ghost? I do support raging against machines and such. And sometimes people.

1 Like

Not sure if you are joking, but you can see the transparent-and-white avatars if you set your browser background color to something other than white.

2 Likes

Don’t let me tell you you’re doing ghost wrong - partially transparent is still a protest. Whether an image is visible or not, our point is, and I thank you for joining us in support. Confomity and uniformity bad, self-expression good.

I’m just a little OCD and obsessive about getting things ferpect. Imma go put the save file on read only media or I won’t be getting any sleep tonight.

2 Likes

On a phone, so I could mimic with a white background, so could you do something with this?

1 Like

Any chance at a ghost-hamster? It’s based on the google cr48 box hamster.

2 Likes

Would either of these do the trick?

2 Likes

I like that first one, it preserves the negative aspect of the original

1 Like