Giant 2,000-year-old hunk of bog butter just found - and it's still edible

Damn. Is my veneer of effortless style so transparent?

Is it more heart healthy than marshgarin?

10 Likes

I recall reading about one of these years ago. A reporter who snuck a bit stated it tasted like rotten feet.

4 Likes

And when, exactly, had the reporter previously sampled rotten feet? :wink:

10 Likes

I used to grow carnivorous plants which was fun but also sad because I (along with every other grower I knew) was so aware of the habitat destruction, including peat bogs. Although I did read somewhere that threatened species of North American pitcher plant were being preserved in the wild by planting them in remote Irish bogs.

After I got into the hobby more growers started speaking out about the destruction of peat bogs since peat was our primary growing medium. A lot of effort went into finding more sustainable alternatives, although one option was that living sphagnum was remarkably easy to grow. Basically growers could cultivate it to make their own growing medium. And many carnivorous plants donā€™t have much in the way of roots anyway.

My small contribution to saving peat bogs was quitting horticulture.

9 Likes

Save the Bogs, For Peatā€™s Sake!

12 Likes

Changes that whole garden of Eden storyā€¦

1 Like

Ugh google is failing me but I recently read an article about the destructive harvesting of sphagnum moss (replacing peat) that was taking place around New Orleansā€¦ making me feel guilty about all the peat moss I just spread in my garden but I didnā€™t buy itā€¦ it was a donation from a neighbour who bought too muchā€¦ ugh. Ethics! Why is life so hard! I just want to grow veggies!

6 Likes

Or a monsterā€¦

4 Likes

Am I the only person who would eat it?
I like cultured butters, I like blue cheese, I like roquefort, I like gorgonzolaā€¦
I was recently at a party that had a cheese that was $100/lb and smelled so bad it had to be kept under glassā€¦ and we gladly ate it (it was delicious!).
I would eat the bog butter!
Iā€™m not ashamed!

16 Likes

I love me some stanky cheese, and I would try the bog butter too.

How come cheese that smells like feet is awesome, and feet that smell like cheese are terrible?

(rhetorical question)

9 Likes

I meanā€¦ it would probably make us hurl chunksā€¦ or turn us into The Thingā€¦ but the story value alone is worth it!
ā€œI ate 200 year old butter and lived!ā€ :wink:

5 Likes

Warning: This link, like 2000-year-old butter, is not for the squeamish, although Iā€™m sure @Missy_Pants and @piratejenny will be fine with it. :wink:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s not the same thing at all!

(Actually, if I had already had a couple of drinks I might go for it)

2 Likes

Is the koala intentional? They do eat poison for a living.

Shiver me timbers.

1 Like

Oh, yeah, a friend posted a selfie with her sourtoe last year.

2 Likes

37 posts in, and nobodyā€™s posted the only obvious reason for stashing so much butter away?

7 Likes

I got a Zebulon the Great mummy as a housewarming gift.

Heā€™s teriyaki style.

4 Likes

When you hoard a critical mass of butter:

4 Likes