Giant 2,000-year-old hunk of bog butter just found - and it's still edible

Add it to the appropriate insults thread, man.

1 Like

Whoa. Was that something you already knew about, or should we thank the gods of Google?

For the record, I love stinky cheeseā€¦and am not a fan of stinky feet, especially in my drink!

1 Like

2 Likes

Pretty sure the Yiddish meaning is where we get the English slang.

ā€œslangā€ is Dutch/Afrikaans for snake.

3 Likes

Oh for crying out butter!

2 Likes

Youā€™re not alone. Iā€™d happily try it too. I love Stilton. Wait, that might be a bad example since my mother who doesnā€™t care for most blue cheeses likes Stilton too. But I also like Roquefort and Gorgonzola. And other stinky cheeses.

Itā€™s the fact that Iā€™d be willing to try 150-year old beer brought up from a shipwreck solely because itā€™s beer that raises the possibility that thereā€™s something wrong with me.

4 Likes

Okay youā€™d go for stinky cheese and old beer and bog butter, but how about casu marzu from Sardinia?

Now thatā€™s a step too far for meā€¦

3 Likes

How do you go from ā€œI found this goo in a swamp,ā€ to ā€œLetā€™s eat it,ā€?

5 Likes

Here north of the wall itā€™s fairly notorious, but the first rule of rotten feet clubā€¦

garbage compost has never failed me. I have an infinite supply being a messy human and it is totally free.

2 Likes

Living in the raccoon capitol of the worldā€¦ compost heaps can be a challenge.

1 Like

Yay weird/wonderful shit that doesnā€™t make my faith in humanity die looking at it.

Still not eating that, because edible does not mean good tasting.

We have a backyard compost bin (aka raccoon salad bar), and the lid gets knocked off on a regular basis. I consider a certain amount of ullage unavoidable, but turning the fresh scraps over to mix them with the well-rotted compost seems to make them less palatable to our little ringtailed buddies.

It occurs to me that this may be the raccoon equivalent of bog butter.

1 Like

I think thatā€™s a step too far for me too. Iā€™ll try almost anything but I prefer my food to be immobile.Thatā€™s why I could never eat at a Klingon restaurant. Or at least not gagh.

7 Likes

ā€œHe was a bold man that first ate an oysterā€

• Jonathan Swift
1 Like

Back in the day when I still allowed side ads in gmail, I remember this one: ā€œGlory holes? You can find anything at Amazon.com!ā€ I really wish I had saved that one.

3 Likes

They can be some ballsy suckers, too

4 Likes

:smile: I learned long ago to not question other folkā€™s predilections.

2 Likes

Why in the olden days did they bury it in a bog and just not buy one of these? Gosh, itā€™s like they didnā€™t have Williams Sonoma or something.

6 Likes