Giant heroin spoon installed outside of OxyContin manufacturer's headquarters

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/26/giant-heroin-spoon-installed-o.html

8 Likes

Police calmly arrested Alvarez and charged him with “obstruction of free passage” and “interfering with police.”

Who says the only way drug dealers can bribe police officers to make sure they’re left alone is with a wad of dirty greenbacks in an envelope?

The sculpture is really nice, by the way. An activist take on a Claes Oldenburg piece.

11 Likes

Robert Josephson, a spokesperson for Purdue, released a statement Friday morning. “We share the protesters’ concern about the opioid crisis, and respect their right to peacefully express themselves.

So… who called the cops?

16 Likes

The spoon was already impounded by police last week. This site really is the place for breaking news.

1 Like

Better late than never!

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Honestly trying to figure out how one impounds a spoon.

Do they try to attach one of those car boots to it before they get a tow truck and drag the spoon away?

Imagining the hilarity of showing up at police station saying “I am here to reclaim my impounded spoon”

4 Likes

Interesting how Purdue is willing to help “stem the tide of opioid-related overdose deaths”, but make no mention of reducing the risk of developing opioid addiction.

4 Likes

You mean this?
For most of my visits to the Walker Art center, this was the only thing worth looking at. Sometimes the rest of the sculpture garden had interesting pieces, but inside…I don’t know, guess I’m just not a fan of “modern” art because I never toured a traveling exhibit there that I liked.

6 Likes

Meanwhile the real criminals are looking down from their boardroom, zero soul-searching going on up there.

You seem quite disappointed with BB, as of late.

Happy cake day, btw…

7 Likes

When I was at UT-Austin, there was a house/co-op “Fredonia” (like in Duck Soup) where leftist activists lived. In the front yard was a metal sculpture (probably 12 feet high) of an atomic cloud, with a plaque at the bottom reading “R.I.P. The Human Race.” The whole thing was conveniently mounted on a utility trailer.

The house’s landlord opted to turn Fredonia into a boarding house or build a condo in its place (don’t recall which, but both were the the ongoing story of that neighborhood). When the occupants had to move out, they somehow drug the sculpture (the trailer undoubtedly helped) to UT’s West Mall, which is a large plaza with one of the libraries on one side and the administrative tower on the other, where rallies typically took place. They left the sculpture on its trailer right at the foot of the tower steps. I think it sat there at least a week or so.

Flash forward a couple of years, and I’d gotten a job in North Austin (seemed ‘‘far’’ north, back then). This meant I would drive past UT’s Balcones (now Pickle) Research Center, several miles north of the campus, on the way to work. I soon noticed the atomic cloud sculpture sitting in an outdoor storage area. From the freeway it looked like a rusted basketball goal, but that was it. I believe it sat there for several more years.

So the moral of this story is, if you mount your public art on a utility trailer, it makes things easier for you but it also makes it easier to confiscate. (There really is no moral, that’s just an excuse to post this anecdote)

3 Likes

Police are not your friends, part 3.

1 Like

You get your dish to run away with it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.