Giant squid rescued from Obama in Japan

1 Like

Care to elaborate?

Not sure if it’s better or worse than being flash frozen and eaten.

1 Like

Those who know, know.

The phrase “pooper of parties” was used. It was quite unpleasant.

2 Likes

I have to imagine that the expected lifespan for this individual isn’t particularly long…

Like other deep sea things that show up at the surface, it’s not there because it’s healthy. I’m a bit suspicious that everyone is going to try their hardest to keep it going, but fully expects it to die, and wants it somewhere where a quick anatomic specimen prep can be made when it does.

6 Likes

What’s up with the title pic? Is that a stock photo? Is it the actual giant squid? I need a banana for scale.

1 Like
1 Like

The squid girl is squirting ink from the wrong orifice. Ink sacs in cephalopods send ink into their rectums.

Something tells me you’re one of those people who is disappointed that Peter Parker doesn’t shoot spider webs out his butt.

7 Likes

All those! On the Ed Sullivan Show.

No. I think I dreamt that.

2 Likes

And humans typically secrete a white sticky goo from a completely different organ.

It said “You don’t want to know”. Trust it!

1 Like

See, another Venture Brothers thing there. All I want is Shore Leave and Obama welcoming Giant Squid in a PSA.

4 Likes

Well yeah, there are hundreds of decapod species, not counting Old Ones.

Architeuthis Dux and its mythic associations are the central McGuffin of China Miéville’s novel Kraken, which is pretty good, though IRL I’m sure they’re just regular seafoods trying to live their life, and don’t need people making a huge deal about their weight any time they go to the beach.

1 Like

PR spin

For those who want the 2nd chapter this squid has perished in the hands of the Echizen Aquarium. Kidding it had nothing to do with them really however it is no more. If you want to touch it and happen to be in the area it will be on display from 29-April to 5-May.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.