Gin yogurt criticized

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/12/gin-yogurt-criticized.html

4 Likes

* starts carving woodcut entitled “Skyr street and Gin blame”*

13 Likes

Not even that would get me to eat yogurt.
Okay I don’t hate it really just not a taste I like.

5 Likes

Rebrand it “juniper and lime with other natural botanicals”. I’d give it a shot try.

29 Likes

18 Likes

I like the flavor just fine. It’s just that the flavor and texture feel like exactly what it is. A colony of bacteria thriving in milk. And every time I eat yogurt straight it’s all I can think about, and I can’t enjoy it.

Making shit out of yogurt is fine. And other cultured milk products that don’t cut so close to gelatinous biofilm are fine.

3 Likes

Gin tastes like something you ought to clean a drain with. Booze culture is just getting weird at this point.

5 Likes

Somebody seems to have forgotten his primary maths.

0.5% gin at 40 proof brings the alcohol down to 0.1% – that is, a kilogramme of the stuff will have one gram of alcohol. Get that up to a rather minimal 10 grams of alcohol and you’re trying to eat 100 kg of yoghurt.

Good luck.

8 Likes

Is that accurate? 0.5% gin would give an alcohol content of something like 0.2% or less. 0.5% alcohol is what most homemade kombucha will have, and I have not heard outrage about that. Of course, if the objection is normalizing cocktails to kids, I am all in, but unless you are on Antabuse, that level of alcohol is pretty much inconsequential.

7 Likes

How do you expect to make any from yogurt if you don’t eat it first?

4 Likes

0.5% of the yogurt is gin, which will be no more than 50% alcohol. So the yogurt is likely 0.2% alcohol, all told. There’s more alcohol in a ripe banana.

17 Likes

Maybe this isn’t the hill to die on if you want to attack cultures drinking problem. Maybe start with actual alcoholic drinks.

9 Likes

the creation of alcohol inspired yoghurts seems unnecessary

The creation of all yogurt is unnecessary. So flippin what?

2 Likes

New internet fad:

3 word horror stories

3 Likes

6 Likes

Yogurt is pretty weird, but certain flavors like coffee or lemon do the trick for me.

1 Like

The introduction of cheap gin to England was the alcohol pretty much equivalent to the introduction of crack cocaine.

3 Likes

Yup. A drug that is pharmacologically identical to the less-demonised upper-class equivalent, pilloried in the media due to its association with lower-class consumption.

Reminder that at the same time as the gin-scare was being hyped, the English upper classes were routinely getting absolutely shitfaced at every meal.

11 Likes

Here’s an entertaining account of an upper-class 18th century meal:

From Patrick O’Brian’s biography of Joseph Banks. This was very likely the inspiration that Pratchett drew on for the banquets at the Discworld’s Unseen University.

11 Likes

Nah there is an aftertaste that just is eww for me. I don’t mind a tzaziki sauce or a mango lassie. But bog standard stuff no thanks. Not so bad I wouldn’t turn down if I needed food and it was the only choice but given a choice I would go with the other option

1 Like