Gin yogurt criticized

A waste of gin and a waste of yoghurt.

4 Likes

I don’t even know where to start with this. Being upset about an essentially alcohol-free product because it tastes like alcohol which is known for tasting like juniper berries and other spices. This is more “gin-spiced” than “gin” yogurt. It’s like criticizing “pumpkin-spiced coffee” for fueling an obesity epidemic when the thing that you’re actually upset about is people eating too much pie.

On further reflection, are we sure this whole “controversy” isn’t just a viral ad campaign for the yogurt?

8 Likes

Lots of juniper berries in my yard and not once have I ever thought of adding them to yogurt.

2 Likes

I like both gin and yogurt.
So, for me, as long as they don’t put it in one
of those squeezy tubes… I’m good with it.

4 Likes

Hmm. Gateway yogurt. I share the good doctor’s concern.

1 Like

I know where the juniper bushes that produce nice berries are in my neighborhood. I pick em when they are nice and plump. Use em in a ‘hunter’s stew’ recipe my Dad talks about from when he was a kid. Basically beef stew with pilfered/gleaned after the harvest roots n tubers (I suspect potato, carrot, turnip and such). Need to try a couple in my next batch of ‘bitters’.

In yogurt with ‘gin’ flavor? Nope.

4 Likes

How are you going to do that, if you don’t eat it first?

5 Likes

Mostly with some cucumber and a loaf of mystery meat.

1 Like

i am amused that most of the comments here are coming from a place of either not liking gin or not liking yogurt. as someone who loves both, i think this sounds fantastic. i want some.

7 Likes

IIRC 0.5% is the limit below which a drink (or foodstuff) isn’t legally considered to be alcoholic in British law.

It’s the same rule which allows rum raisin ice cream to be freely sold to children. I wonder if this doctor has heard of that, and if so whether he has similar complaints about it…

5 Likes
2 Likes

Personally, I’m hoping the next big thing in booze culture will either be sake or mead. I’ll be ahead of the curve.

(Probably best not to mix the two, though.)

5 Likes

corrupting dairy products since 1991

gin makes a man mean

11 Likes

The problem with this yoghurt is not the gin, but the fact that it has 0% fat.

10 Likes

As soon as I read the first of those, I immediately thought of Patrick O’Brian – but of his fictional creation Captain Jack Aubrey, who routinely drinks (and eats) enough to render most modern men prostrate. Clearly O’Brian had done his research.

4 Likes

Point of pedantry: in the UK at least, most gin is roughly 40% ABV, not 40° proof.

Fun fact: while on the US scale pure alcohol is 200° proof, under the traditional UK system (hardly seen anymore) it’s 175°; it was scaled like this to make 100° proof spirit the minimum strength in which gunpowder could be soaked and still ignite.

7 Likes

I love the smell of pedantry in the morning.

Fair enough: you could get to 10 grams of alcohol by eating only 50 kg of yoghurt.

7 Likes

“You can take my yogurt from my dead drunk hands!” This message has been sponsored by the National Association of Gin-Soak Barroom-Queens (Memphis Local).

1 Like

What is it with this desire to make yoghurt as unlike yoghurt as can be? In the states it is increasingly hard to just buy plain yogurt, it’s all flavoured up like a dessert pudding. It’s a bit better here in Canada (and I can’t speak for the UK), but still…

Fact is, I love plain yogurt, and I love Gin and Tonics – but together? Bletch :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

I use yoghurt as an ingredient in curries. Yet it’s sometimes frustrating to find that plain is out of stock, and vanilla is overstocked.

4 Likes