Gingrich: Trump should illegally hire his relatives, profit from inside dealing, and then pardon them

Everything I’ve read about 2018 and congressional races paints a pretty grim picture. Apparently (and please PLEASE somebody correct me) the seats in question aren’t exactly in democratic-friendly areas.

I think hoping for impeachment is a lot like hoping the electoral college would do something about the results.

12 Likes

I think the most agonizing part is that things are such a clusterfuck I don’t think an impeachment would really make for an improvement, since it’d get rid of the authoritarian clown but put the authoritarian theocrat gay-basher in charge.

19 Likes

Just a small reality check: the headline says “should,” but Gingrich actually said “could.” This totally changes the character of what he said.

7 Likes

Yeah, I heard this this morning and I almost feel off my chair.

Trump the criminal. Trump the illegitimate. Trump the treasonous. Trump the crook. Trump the impeached. Trump the removed from office.

2 Likes

Trump is already pardoning himself before he has entered office.

1 Like

Society is so broken - and this has occurred before in human history, I believe - and it’s making people frantic, which doesn’t help to fix things (ever try to change a tire in a hurry? Ugh!).

All I know is that I’m both frightened by the future (what steers me toward suicide), and tantalized by it (what keeps me alive). I feel like what I imagine a peasant woman may’ve felt in pre-Revolutionary France: Look I just want to keep my family fed and my home intact. I have no desire to take to any barricades, but I suppose if I must, I will if it means I can keep my family fed and my home intact.

9 Likes

You’re right, but you can’t arrest someone for something they are going to do, in general. (Exceptions to this such as with physical threats, conspiracy, etc)

Personally, I think with the microscope on Trump, if he doesn’t play by the rules he risks impeachment if he starts breaking actual laws.

1 Like

We already do. Drumpf is merely their Head Distractor.

4 Likes

Hahahaha you think they’ll need pardons.

Are you really that naïve?

Seriously, this is a man that fears nothing and has nearly the whole federal government behind him.

11 Likes

But you know, he’s a guy who really believes in traditional values. Oh, wait.

7 Likes

Yeah, he’s breaching the constitution on Day 1, and nothing will happen.

9 Likes

"But, surely now the GOP will grow a spine!"
a week passes, more shit happens.
“But, surely now the GOP will grow a spine!”

next verse, same as the first!

18 Likes

A little bit louder, and a whole lot worse.

11 Likes

There is no “if” involved. He’s already broken actual laws, including an illegal $25,000 quid pro pro donation/bribe funneled through his “charitable” foundation to a prosecutor. Instead of calling him on it and telling him to play by the rules, the GOP establishment is largely silent or saying his lawbreaking is just fine, as Newt is doing.

8 Likes

The whole Federal Government? What makes you say that? Because I have seen a lot of evidence to the contrary, including several articles where gov. workers are lamenting the next 4 years.

Yes the Republicans currently control the legislature, but not all of them are loyal to Trump for one, and for two their hold is only good for the next cycle of elections. If the Trump is as poisonous as some fear, the Democrats will most likely gain the legislature.

1 Like

This is why I read the comments – to make sure someone hadn’t already made the point I’m about to comment on! I’ll just add: Headline would be more accurate with “Gingrich defends Trumps hiring relatives and inside dealing, based on historical precedence (rather than current laws and practices).” More correct, yet still a weasel. What a surprise.

3 Likes

I could be wrong, but I’ve always felt that, initially, tRump really has no ‘political capital’. I think he’s just going to blindly bully and bumble his way through initial policy. But as long as he’s useful to the GOP establishment insomuch as they can pass their entire extremest right-wing wet dream, he’ll remain in office. As soon as he is no longer useful he will be removed by the GOP. HOWEVER, the trouble will be time. The longer tRump can stay in office, the more power will shift to his office through a cycle of grovelling sycophants and most likely a type of brownshirt movement leaving congress without much power or oversight. This play worked so well with the GOP and the Teabaggers.

5 Likes

But he was smart enough to not pay taxes. I’m sure he’s smart enough to profit from his presidency.

3 Likes

Sure, okay, but much as I am not a fan of Gingrich, here’s a quote from the same interview that reflects the actual position he took in the interview:

“It’s a very real problem,” Gingrich said. “I don’t think this is something minor. I think certainly in an age that people are convinced that government corruption is widespread both in the U.S. and around the world, you can’t just shrug and walk off from it.”

This is the exact opposite of what the headline implies he said. Why belabor this point? Gingrich is someone that I personally consider “on the other side.” If I am misinformed as to his actual position, this has the effect of making me feel even more hopeless about the situation. That leads me to be less likely to take action, because what’s the point.

So it’s really important to get things like this right.

8 Likes

This applies equally to making dinosaurs or employing your brattish children.

Though I’m willing to go with any abomination of science that puts the Trump kids up against a T-Rex.

4 Likes