Girl Scouts of America have licensed Girl Scout Cookie cereal rights to General Mills

I think if you were to figure out the sugar/fat/calories on a bowl of breakfast cereal versus, say, a French pain au chocolat, the cereal would come out pretty well ahead.

3 Likes

… thought we were talking about breakfast cereal…

2 Likes

Yes, and I’m comparing a bowl of super sugary cereal to other popular breakfasts. Nice GIF!

2 Likes

Well now you are, and thanks!

my breakfast was a bowl of Kölln Knusper Schoko-Karamell, a crunchy muesli with chocolate and toffee with frugal 1.9 MJ/100g and a sugar content of about 20 %. I mixed it with raspberry yoghurt and full cream milk, for extra taste and calories.

4 Likes

There were a number of scandalous revelations in the 90’s about the actual percentage of cookie sales that make it to a given troop. And it wasn’t much, the vast majority going to pay big salaries at the central scouting organization. From what I understand its better now. Troops near here refused to sell them for a number of years, instead holding bake sales and other fund raisers. So the cookies were never a particularly good way to throw money to a local scouting group. And all these licensed goods (there are candy bars and ice creams as well) are right in line with past practice.

3 Likes

I think it would be hard to distinguish the difference at this point. In the U.S., brand name cereals are shown to be up to 56% sugar by weight, and off-brand cereals have clocked in as high as 88%.

3 Likes

dafuq? the 20% of my example above feels highish…

ignore it, the place they are citing from is marginally better than food babe (in that they do actual studies just not good ones) from what I can gather online.

ETA Salon has a nice write up on them…
http://www.salon.com/2016/02/07/my_food_paranoia_wake_up_call_the_ewg_wants_us_to_be_afraid_of_the_food_we_feed_our_kids_heres_why_i_refuse/

3 Likes

At this time of year only one sugary cereal truly matters.

5 Likes

Lies!

4 Likes

A stereotypical Irish breakfast is meat, meat, meat, potatoes, meat, eggs, meat, soda bread, and meat. Optionally with extra meat.

A stereotypical French breakfast is bread, butter, a different kind of bread, bread, some other bread, possibly fruit or juice, and coffee with milk.

A stereotypical English breakfast has fish or eels in it. And jam, and tea.

A stereotypical American breakfast is sugar, sugar, some heavily processed grain, artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners, sugar, a short glass of orange juice, sugar, and a cup of heavily sweetened generic corporate coffee.

10 Likes

12 Likes

I just read that article and what struck me was “does this person have no older females in her life? No mother, grandmother, aunts? No old lady in the ground floor flat that occasionally needs help carrying the groceries in?”

The idea of trying to figure out which corporate media figures and medical priesthoods should be unquestioningly trusted with your children’s health and nutrition is just alien to me. Trust the person who raised ten healthy kids and grandkids, that is as close to your children’s genetic mix as possible. Trust the people who you can see demonstrating physical evidence of trustworthiness. And if you haven’t got any such resources, fix that problem, but in the mean time trust your own ability to observe and reason…

3 Likes

whut? here the stereotype is croissant and café au lait (the croissant is optional)

5 Likes

Croissant = a different kind of bread
Coffee with milk = café au lait

The other bread is an optional baguette :wink:

I’m American, remember? Part of our stereotype is stereotyping the French incorrectly - it’s always amusing to see some political idiot talking about French military history when there’s an actual historian in the room. My countrymen are profoundly ignorant about French history and culture, with the exception of my sister who doesn’t even live here any more.

7 Likes

but all the components you name destroy the stereotype of the minimalistic French breakfast

4 Likes

Locally, we set up shop in front of the local grocery stores. My daughter, who had been pretty shy, really took to steering people to the table. It was pretty awesome.

Apparently, the troops over in Oakland set up shop in front of the pot dispensaries.

7 Likes

Well, there’s nothing but bread and coffee there! It’s five times the amount of bread found in an American breakfast.

(Yankee breakfasts have no bread at all, except maybe a half slice of toasted Wonder Bread, which is really not bread, but merely a clever facsimile.)

4 Likes

Girls Scout Cereal? That ought to be a big seller. But I’ll reserve my judgement until the box design is uncovered.

Oh golly it’s making me ■■■■■!

The Big G has been making the Girl Scout Cookie since Pontius was a pilot.

1 Like