Give Jeremy Bornstein $15,037 to make a movie of him staring at the camera for 30 minutes

[Permalink]

1 Like

The biggest question here is, why aren’t I making a kickstarter?

1 Like

Not sure if satire or a cash grab, but if anything will make me scream TAKE MY MONEY, it’s this.

1 Like

If send him a postcard asking for a $1 do you think he’d send me a sample of this digital “film”?

Give me $15,058 and I’ll watch it :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

$21 for popcorn and a medium Mr Pibb? Remind me never to go to your multiplex.

I had forgotten just how dreamy Jeremy’s eyes are.

Performance art, clearly. Not so clear: Whether the performance art is the actual movie, or the Kickstarter campaign for it.

3 Likes

Naw, I just figure that me sitting there for half an hour watching a guy stare back from the screen is worth $20 more than what he wants to make it. The extra buck is for the typo :slight_smile:

1 Like

The problem with being avant-garde is knowing who’s putting on who.

1 Like

A man may see how this world goes with no eyes. Look with thine ears: see how yond justice rails upon yon simple thief. Hark, in thine ear: change places; and, handy-dandy, which is the justice, which is the thief?

King Lear, IV.vi

I don’t know about the movie itself, but the pitch video is worth a dollar.

1 Like

This is what Warhol did, except with others instead of himself. He was master of the deadpan, though. He later said that you could just point a camera at someone they would reveal who they are. His films do have a strange allure.

Anyway, a respectable tradition to be working.

2 Likes

So this is performance art.

I wonder if he was inspired by the performance art I heard about on NPR a few weeks ago where a woman sat in a museum and invited people to just sit down with her and they’d look into each other’s eyes for as long as they felt comfortable, without saying anything.

Apparently it was incredibly emotional for some people. Some sat for hours and even came back, some cried.

I know who you are talking about. There is a video of her long lost first love coming up to her sitting station - apparently her former partner in art and someone she had not seen in years - and they both break down into tears. Here it is:

Gotta say - this lady knows how to work a stare. I wish I had the artful ability to turn some ordinary action into art. This is one of those things that sounds so stupid in description but is powerful to actually see.

That is AWESOME. Now I have something in my eyes, I need a minute.

1 Like

Instantly thought of this after reading.

3 Likes

And the best part is, when they went and did a Kickstarter for their own site, they included the $1000 level from that comic, and then Mike went and did it:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/04/03/ducks

1 Like

Give me $5 and I’ll go away.