Glorious stripped-down version of Christopher Cross's "Sailing" you've likely never heard before

Originally published at: Glorious stripped-down version of Christopher Cross's "Sailing" you've likely never heard before | Boing Boing

6 Likes

14 Likes

16 Likes
7 Likes

Those poor people…

10 Likes

11 Likes

cut waving GIF

6 Likes

The only version i’ll acknowledge

4 Likes

Version?

1 Like

Version of the song, or cover. But I was half paying attention and i just realized its a different song altogether lol. Still, the terrible Sailing Away cover amuses me so i’ll keep it up here.

6 Likes

Say what you will about Christopher Cross, but they were a breath of fresh air in a genre full of misogyny for the era, not to mention a band you could listen to in the car with your parents (Centerfold? The Stroke? Damn, I was pubescent teen in those days!). :man_shrugging:

Plus, who can hear the backstory for this song without getting a little misty-eyed?

10 Likes

Hehe. It is more funner to imagine Sailing being sung ironically by Jack Black.

1 Like

I think I’ll stick with this nautical themed anthem for my sailing needs.

4 Likes

I prefer his later stuff…

7 Likes

So what did the release version with orchestra do, clarinets, violins, all that?

3 Likes
3 Likes

that! was goddamn funny!
i now have a new anthem to top the onboard music playlist.

I gather you’ve got a lot more Lonely Island to discover, e.g. “I Threw It On The Ground”. Rather than hijacking this thread with a playlist thereof I’ll put in only this nautical-adjacent one:

2 Likes

Oh man I had to work hard to prevent my dad from hearing that song. He’d already given me crap for “Brick House”.

3 Likes

I respect this so much, because it happened all the time and yes it looked friggin’ ridiculous. But this also is a perfect illustration of why I didn’t particularly care for a lot of synth early on, quite often it was transparently a cheap lazy substitute for orchestral pads. Obvs not talking about stuff like Throbbing Gristle or Kraftwerk or whatever. But in a lot of pop the synths slipped into the exact role that an orchestra of studio musicians had been in in decades earlier. What we should be asking is why his label was too cheap to hire a string section for these types of performances.