God damn you 2020

Don’t know, but I hope they catch the attacker.

Even Cap is pissed.

https://twitter.com/ChrisEvans/status/1312066397330182146

21 Likes

Marshal the Canucks

9 Likes

As someone with sleep apnea, this is a “well, fuck” article.

16 Likes
11 Likes

It was 103° here yesterday (October 2nd). Our “monsoon” netted less than 1/3 the average amount of rain, nor is any expected for the rest of the fall or foreseeable winter.

12 Likes

So the key question here is whether the association is with sleep apnea or with untreated sleep apnea. I have wicked sleep apnea, but my CPAP makes it asymptomatic (much to my wife’s relief.) I don’t wake up with blazing headaches and fatigue anymore. If the hypothesis put forward (disruption of sleep waves interfering with clearing of protein aggregates) is correct, then treatment should help. Otherwise, shit…

17 Likes

The article says there’s no difference between those who had CPAP therapy. :fearful:

I’m no medical study expert so I’m sure there’s more to unpack (reliability, methods, stuff glossed over in TFA). Also I have no idea if this website is credible or just another click farm. (And I’m not able to find any actual link to the paper.)

13 Likes

Missed that in my quick read. Yeah, that’s not very encouraging. Nothing much to do but see what further data comes down the pike, but damn, man, that sucks!!

14 Likes

My parents both have it (bad), as do I to a lesser degree. Not sure about their parents, but none of them had Alzheimer’s, and my father’s parents both passed 100.

On the other hand, my mother is definitely Generation Lead, and god knows what all that does to you.

15 Likes

I concur with @Ratel. My mom had sleep apnea and used a CPAP machine for many years. She died from liver cancer at 87 (four months from diagnosis), but she kept her nursing license current until the year before and was a five-term hospital board member who often traveled to Sacramento and DC to meet/lobby for funding. We never witnessed any form of dementia with her.

14 Likes

And @Ratel, thank you. I don’t need that worry in the back of my mind along with the rest of 2020’s shit show! As I said, 1 paper is never anything to hang your hat on. Wait and see, this should generate further research given the incidence of sleep apnea these days.

12 Likes

Mind you, anecdotes, etc.

Meanwhile, I’ll be shocked if Gens X, Y and Z don’t all die early from cancer.

9 Likes

Personally, considering what a mess we have left them, I am suspecting stress related illnesses will be their downfall.

14 Likes

You’re right, should have added, “on the offhand chance that they live long enough to die of ‘natural’ causes.”

7 Likes

We’ll all die due to stress-induced heart attacks at this point.

10 Likes
12 Likes

Meanwhile the hotels in Cancun are still calling me trying to sell me a timeshare

12 Likes

Gotta make that money, no matter what

9 Likes

As long as you can guarantee me that my time slot includes the hotel still standing and doesn’t include a Category V-VI hurricane.

5 Likes

If he calls again I’ll ask him to look out the window and tell me the weather.

The beach there has already been eroded down to practically nothing by hurricane Wilma (?). Even after they rebuilt the beach it’s really narrow and has a dangerous dropoff. The massive beachfront hotels block the offshore winds that would naturally rebuild the beaches

7 Likes