Good deal on the classic Huntsman Swiss Army knife

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/15/good-deal-on-the-classic-hunts.html

3 Likes

I’ve always loved the Victorianox Swiss Army knives.
I’ve carried my Camper nearly every day for 25 years. I prefer the woodsaw over the tiny scissors.

2 Likes

Always get the one with the corkscrew.

7 Likes

Here’s the difference – the Huntsman has a corkscrew instead of a Phillips-head screwdriver.

You can only have one or the other, and since you have to choose…

1 Like

Certain models give you both. The Explorer has a corkscrew and also the (more useful) in-line Phillips driver. But the small screwdriver on the end of the can opener is explicitly designed to fit Phillips screws, so the corkscrew is the logical choice in most cases, not to mention that it can hold the little eyeglass screwdriver.

3 Likes

The Explorer doesn’t have a saw, so that’s right out. Victorinox does have devices with both, but since you can’t actually wrap your hand around them, I’m forced to consider them very small and un-ergonomic work benches.

2 Likes

That sounded wrong to me (unless you have Trump-sized hands of course, in which case fair enough) so I had a look.

My, Victorinox knives really have changed since I was a nipper.

But still, I present for your consideration:

Corkscrew, saw and Phillips screwdriver. 25.5mm wide which doesn’t seem too bad.

The “Champ” is a bit silly, I’ll grant you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s a bit of a handful.

For me, a five-layer knife like this is clumsy to use. Part of the problem is that the knife blades are way off-center in the handle. For dexterity, a two- or three-layer knife is best. Four is about the most I would consider.

For pocket carry, I don’t like anything bigger than two layers, or three or four in a jacket pocket or bag.

That’s not a knife…

2 Likes

I’ll grant you the photo makes it look like there should be a little pic of Godzilla next to it for scale.

d36d3b11f90713f1f202369ac5039ed114e37575_1_571x500

And what’s with the torch?

1 Like

That’s the “lite” part (lite as in emitting photons, not as in weight) as opposed to the plain Huntsman. Because of that extra layer, they could fit in the Phillips screwdriver.

2 Likes

Wait, is that a bread knife between the pliers and the screwdriver?

1 Like

It’s a serrated blade that shows up on some of their picnic models. The knife pictured is the “one of everything” SwissChamp XAVT.

1 Like

The right size flathead screwdriver (like the one on the can opener) will open anything the actual Phillips head screwdriver will, at least once.

A corkscrew, though, is another matter entirely.

Looks like the price is up to $29 now.

Spend a few bucks more, and get one of the larger models with a locking blade, like the one I carry:

Your fingers may thank you some day.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.