crazy lady GIF

I love Hatchet face…

I didn’t realize the actor had died!

7 Likes
10 Likes
15 Likes

:green_heart: :heart: :earth_africa: :earth_americas:

ETA:
lest we forget projects on the other coast of the U.S., this bears repeating / reposting:

13 Likes

I hope this goes well and makes a difference.

13 Likes

Candy v kale: healthy food comes to US corner stores in fight against ‘retail…

One of the secrets to smaller supermarkets and stores having access to fresh produce in the Greater Toronto Area is the Ontario Food Terminal. It’s easy to become a buyer if you’re running a store.

A slight downside, if you can call it that, is that you get a noticeable number of farmer’s market stalls run by vendors who have made a quick trip to the Food Terminal, instead of run by actual farmers.

11 Likes

:confounded:

8 Likes

And in some places, the decision about who gets to have a stand at the farmer’s market is driven by revenue, so the real farmers get driven out by the “cheaters”.

6 Likes

My wife’s family, actual farmers from Niagara Region, used to truck their produce to the Food Terminal, preferring to sell it all wholesale rather than spending their time at the farmers’ market and risking being left with unsold goods.

If the produce at the farmers’ market is in season, there’s a pretty good chance you are at least getting genuine Ontario fruits and vegetables, even if you are buying from a middleperson.

The real cheaters are those who try to pass off, for example, California strawberries as Ontario ones and such.

11 Likes

And things that aren’t organic as things that are.

10 Likes

And don’t forget the Organic Nazis…not Nazis who eat organic, Nazis who sell organic.

7 Likes

No surge pricing

14 Likes
11 Likes

That makes me wonder about Camas in the PNW as our climate changes. Indigenous peoples modified the land in order to encourage camas to grow. It needs to be cooked to be safe to eat, but the same thing can be said for many beans…

6 Likes

I’ll admit I drew a complete blank on Camas, but found an article in “BC Living”:

“Gatherers would venture out in early summer when the camas was in its capsule stage and could be distinguished from the similar-looking but inedible death camas (Zigadenus venenosus).”

So… note to self… no going all “hippie-forager” for that one, then. :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face:

As with many things in my wife’s native :new_zealand: , the Moari were fairly hard-core when it came to some of their kai. :slightly_smiling_face:

Score points for indigenous know-how, although I think it’s fairly rare to eat karaka these days…

8 Likes

Just like you can’t eat raw fresh olives.

9 Likes

@KathyPartdeux Just like you can’t eat raw fresh olives.

Yeah… I’m prepared to score serious bonus points for native knowledge when it takes food from “so poisonous it causes convulsions that dislocate joints” to “tasty side dish”.

Uncured olives are really just nasty, not lethal… :thinking:

10 Likes

I wonder. It’s not uncommon for extremely bitter substances…in this case iridoids, the favourite defences for a large lineage of plants…to taste that way for a reason. Maybe the reason uncured olives are safe is just that nobody would ever make the mistake of eating enough to get sick.

7 Likes

Tangentially this is why women tend not to prefer hoppy beers, and especially IPAs. Estrogen affects sensitivity to bitterness. Women generally, but more so in early pregnancy, are sensitive to bitter tastes. As you point out, this is likely selective because, many poisons taste bitter. Hops are bitter, and so present like poisons to the taste buds. Us men are blissfully unconcerned with this sort of thing, from a long-term evolutionary standpoint. We shamble about eating and drinking come-what-may and sticking our arms into the mouths of alligators and our heads into the gaping jaws of lions yelling “look at me look at me” thinking that’s a good mating strategy.

1 Like

Maybe not actually impressive to most potential mates, but then again, if you can get your rivals to try the same and they’re slightly worse at it…

7 Likes