Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

That reminds me of cassava, a staple in many cultures, that must be carefully prepared to get rid of the dangerous amounts of cyanide it contains. One wonders who the first person was to figure it out.

11 Likes

Cassava’s preparations are really fascinating, because it not only involves several steps, but the results are also not instantaneous, as the poisoning take years/decades to be lethal.

edit: missing word.

8 Likes

One wonders who the first person was to figure it out.

:thinking: I’d personally prefer to be the second person to figure it out…

3 Likes

Yeah, they’re nasty-ish, but we do a dish with fresh olives that have been rinsed in running water for about 24 hours, cook them with a bunch of cabbage and thyme, the bitterness makes a nice counterpoint to the cabbage sweetness.

1 Like

The other thing I’m interested in is who figured out Masa?

Corn is edible un-nixiated ( I theenk that’s the word), but some nutrients aren’t available, so it’s even more subtle than cassava for example.

4 Likes

Humans will eat anything.

4 Likes

Yeah, but figuring out how to make it more nutritional is prety high level.

3 Likes
10 Likes

Soybeans are also not-so-nutritious when raw. I guess if you’re hungry enough, you’ll try to figure out some way to eat it.

And, it can work in the other direction; white rice, with its husks milled off, is less nutritious than natural brown rice. An outbreak of beriberi in the Imperial Japanese Navy was traced to the use of white rice:

6 Likes
14 Likes

LET HIM PRESENT THE WEATHER FORECAST!!!

7 Likes

It would also eliminate the annoying thing of getting called in for jury duty and then being challenged out because you have long hair or whatever and then having to wait around to not be selected for juries all week.

6 Likes

In Arizona of all places. That just floors me. Then again, at least Arizona hasn’t been completely batshit like Texas and Florida.

9 Likes

This is big. Huge decreases in food insecurity for kids. We donate every month to our local food bank because we believe everyone, especially kids, should have enough food. Seeing the impact of the child tax credit is so heartening. Especially the part about the families struggling the most. Before the expansion, a family had to have reported at least $2500 in income in the last year to get the credit. Now it doesn’t matter, those families are getting the payments and the money is helping so much.
I needed this news this morning.

15 Likes

I kind of suspect that they did it more from the idea of streamlining the legal process and making it cheaper than from any desire to increase justice.

5 Likes

Probably. Or at least, that’s how it was sold to the conservative AZ SC. But it is a tiny dismantling of some institutional racism and I will celebrate that win. Maybe some more justice-disguised-as-money-saving will get us even further in addressing systemic racisim. I hope they do a study showing lots of money saved so I can send the results to the Texas Bar and TX SC.

9 Likes

Crossposted in Magical History

“ Minutes later, four of his colleagues swooped in and filled multiple suitcases with FBI files and quietly drove away, not knowing if they’d found anything of value.

What they found uncovered a nationwide program of illegal surveillance and harassment, which in turn led to the discovery of J. Edgar Hoover’s invasive COINTELPRO operation, congressional hearings and ultimately oversight of the FBI after it had operated autonomously for decades and openly referred to its headquarters as “the Seat of Government.”

“ Now, the state of Pennsylvania is commemorating the crime. On Wednesday, the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission will dedicate a historical marker at the building in Media where the burglary occurred.”

17 Likes
11 Likes
17 Likes

Excited Daniel Cormier GIF by UFC

6 Likes