Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

First good news I’ve heard all day.

Remember, the Darwin Award also goes to those who can’t reproduce, even if they don’t outright kill themselves through stupidity.

11 Likes

Of course, the question is, is that infertility temporary or permanent? If temporary, that could be more trouble: <facebook>New male contraceptive! Side effect: will make you shit your guts out.</facebook>

5 Likes
14 Likes
7 Likes

Awesome idea!

There’s currently a massive scooping-up of homes in the US by Zillow, Airbnb and other giants that’s driving up home prices and setting up millions more people as permanent renters who pay ever higher rents, in ever shittier housing. And it all seems to be going largely unnoticed. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

At least, that’s what I sometimes hear. Hope it’s not true…?

8 Likes

Newsom is no angel, but he’s helluva lot better than a lunatic wingnut talkshow host.

15 Likes

I don’t know BlackRock but the vast, vast majority of apartments in Ireland over the last five years have never even been offered to private buyers. REITs, vulture funds, the whole lot.

11 Likes

Oh thank fuck; I hope they’re right.

That ballot filled to the brim with whackadoo opponents was terrifying to see, when I got it in the mail.

O_O

That said, CA has had more than 50 recall elections in its’ time as a state, and only one was successful - the recall of Gray Davis.

16 Likes

Thank you, California GQP asshats, for wasting taxpayer money with this fiasco.

10 Likes

Fingers crossed for you guys… a little bit of stability means a lot recently.

10 Likes

Yeah, especially after the last four years…

11 Likes

Watch to the end:

ETA: not sure why it wouldn’t one-box correctly.

15 Likes

This just leaves me with questions. I’m not sure this covered the foreclosure-to-flip scenario in which the property doesn’t really change hands because the lender keeps it before putting it back on the market at at price the average buyer or renter cannot afford. Also, who has the disposable income during a pandemic and economic downturn to be fueling that second home market they’re saying is so hot? :thinking: The money laundering and corporate purchases making the news and in the real estate transaction records can’t all be coming from individuals who register as LLCs.

7 Likes

The whole mess really does have an awful lot of moving parts. :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

The August job gains were somewhat weaker than expected; although it is not clear that it should be viewed as a seriously negative report. The 235,000 figure is less than half of what most forecasters had been predicting, but it was still associated with a 0.2 percentage point drop in the unemployment rate to 5.2 percent. The unemployment rate had not fallen to 5.2 percent following the Great Recession until July of 2015. It is also important to note that in the prior two months jobs gains were revised up 134,000, bringing the three-month average to 750,000.

7 Likes

Elephant, Giraffe Populations Rebound as Kenya Fights Poachers

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-02/kenya-s-battle-against-elephant-giraffe-poachers-pay-dividends

15 Likes

@cannibalpeas Sometimes satire should be true!

“…any restaurant employee that refused mandatory tattoos were welcome to seek employment elsewhere, adding that Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee’s were likely hiring. Religious exemptions would be permissible but only through the Church of Satan, the Satanic Temple, or a mysterious cult from the Shenandoah Valley.”

5 Likes

Mandy Patinkin is his dog’s cantor?

Duck Hunt Laughing GIF

9 Likes

I’ll have a flaming Moe!

11 Likes
15 Likes