Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

Police is removing them already.

5 Likes

Given HOW she was appointed, I’m not sure this is entirely in the “good stuff” category… but, at least partially it is?

11 Likes

I really want to not be cynical about this and worry that they’re trying to hide something with glossy PR, because it would be so easy to do so, but:

Given all of the awful news coming out of Activision/Blizzard these days, it’s nice to see that some big gaming companies are at least trying to do right by people (Accessibility@Bungie is the fourth Bungie diversity group, as well as Women@Bungie, Black@Bungie, and Trans@Bungie).

Actually, one of the wildest parts of their recent Destiny 2 expansion announcement event was the extent to which they seemed to be silently stressing “we really can’t tell you guys enough that we’re no longer part of Activision and we’re really happy about that and we desperately need you to understand this fact” in all of their “30 years of Bungie” video snippets. Given that the event was just a week or so after the first lawsuit allegations dropped, their choices of what to highlight and talk about when referring to Bungie as a company were … blatant. But also appreciated, even if they never made any direct statements about their former owners. So like I said, with the caveat that nobody is perfect and bad things probably have happened there in the past, I hope this leads to better and brighter things.

It would certainly seem to be a better response to an industry-wide problem than Activision’s initial salvo back at the California DFEH about the lawsuit being filed, which read like a Bush-era anti-big-government press release (probably because they’ve hired a bunch of former Bush administration officials in the intervening years) and basically blamed the victims while also saying nothing bad ever happened and if it did it didn’t matter because they’re not like that anymore. It was… well it was bad. So very, very bad.

2 Likes
4 Likes

josef-martinez-heart

It was also the only and winning goal of the game…

5 Likes
13 Likes

Cool! Like those recently found footprints that suggest people were in what’s now the U.S. far sooner than thought before.

But,

their lifestyles

:woman_facepalming:

(Sorry, it’s probably just me.)

7 Likes

Look we know Neanderthal people had arts and crafts so it makes sense they had a primitive Etsy.
/S

11 Likes

It’s not just you–this drives me nuts.

9 Likes

Then I guess such sloppy usage comports well with neither of our lifestyles. :smirk:

7 Likes
10 Likes

Lifestyles of the solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short. Great show.

They were probably none of the above.

7 Likes

You know… just in general, that word has always irritated me… doubly so when applied to the distant past.

They’ve annoyed all the resident historians now, so…

9 Likes

8 Likes

That’ll teach him to harass bereaved parents!

19 Likes

Is that Debbie Downer?

Not sure I wanna emulate her lifestyle!

4 Likes

Same actor, different character, I think.

They look ‘granola-crunchy’, like the stereotype of middle-aged hippies.

6 Likes

Newsom’s far from perfect but I can’t imagine any of the Republicans who were jockeying to replace him a couple weeks ago would have signed this one into law. The State of California is returning some primo beachfront property to the descendants of a Black family who once ran a resort in the (almost exclusively white) city of Manhattan Beach.

The city illegally seized the property from the family in the 1920s claiming they desperately needed the land for a park that they never ended up building. The Klan burned down other Black-owned property in the area and local whites basically chased out anyone left. The city still hasn’t offered any kind of restitution or even an apology.

17 Likes

Nope. It’s the “enlightened couple” who share way Too Much Information and PDA for everyone’s comfort. Professors perhaps?

@Melizmatic

Bbc Comedy GIF by The QI Elves

Anyway, I thought they always looked a little “cave-dweller” to me.

6 Likes

Damn, you’re right. I thought I’d seen an official apology in the news but that was from the County, not the city. I just found this in an LA times story:

What the hell, man. A formal apology for a clearly wrong action that the city took 100 years ago costs them absolutely nothing. But I guess this is the wrong thread to post an extended rant against the city of Manhattan Beach.

9 Likes