Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

No reputable scientist would claim that they could disentangle all the factors and point to a highly accurate fraction of crime that’s “solely due to lead,” and from what I’ve seen no papers are making that claim. But there are a ton of academic papers published in reputable peer-reviewed journals that found a general statistical correlation that’s far too strong too ignore. Plus the theory is backed up by what we already have known for decades about how lead affects the biology of brain development.

11 Likes

Right? I’ve long hated the lead-poisoning explanation for high crime rates in areas where so many other systemic factors account for that.

There was a decent overview in Mother Jones a while back. The “Good and Encouraging” part of this is that the problem overall is getting better, and that there is an urgent need to proceed with what are well understood remediation strategies (paint, pipes, soil). IMHO any unfortunate tendency by individuals to confound ethnic prejudice with environmental problems shouldn’t stop us from addressing the latter (nor the former, but my disposition makes me much better at the science than the social stuff).

10 Likes

It would be great to see more programs like this:

15 Likes
11 Likes
19 Likes

This story made my morning; they nailed that headline

24 Likes

And now it’s not just about the pennies:

15 Likes
18 Likes
20 Likes
10 Likes
7 Likes
12 Likes

32 Likes
12 Likes
16 Likes
19 Likes
15 Likes

For the non-Finns, this guy is practically the Platonic ideal of a racist Nazi clown.

11 Likes

Platonic or not, he can go fuck himself.

9 Likes

Isolation boxes

Great idea! Can they be soundproof too?

1eqLIRA

20 Likes