Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

30 Likes
21 Likes
18 Likes

A shout out to @milliefink for starting this topic. Thank you. Let’s indeed celebrate the good stuff, in addition to the traditional news cycle
 :raised_hands:

14 Likes

That is a thing of beauty and a joy forever.

9 Likes

I don’t have a lot of ironclad commandments, but “Never get a tattoo in a language you can’t read” is high on the short list.

10 Likes

Mazel tov?

13 Likes

Agreed on all points. If we are talking about a screening test, Cologuard works really well, is truly painless and convenient, as long as you can poop. For diagnostic or follow-up procedures, the scope is currently the only game in town. This coming from 4 years of (exceedingly) frequent scopes following colorectal cancer. It’s a pain in the ass (quite literally) prepping and traveling for them. The procedure itself? Nada.

19 Likes

Jello is liquid. It’s included in “clear liquid diet” orders. It does give the illusion of food, but it is not. Alas.

16 Likes

the last time i went through this process it gave a list of liquid and jello colors which were verboten.

10 Likes

here’s an article that gives me a tiny bit of hope–

14 Likes

Red. And things that might look red. Most purple dyes can do that. If you are looking for bleeding and inflammation, that can get very confusing.

15 Likes

Certain colored children’s breakfast cereals can cause alarm for parents.

13 Likes

Recently used the Buy Nothing Project on Fb when we were clearing out my mom’s condo.

I have friends who swear by this project. It’s true that Austin has a pretty good pool of gift-economy culture already.

https://buynothingproject.org/academy
(Onebox ain’t doing its thing, so here:)

Buy Nothing Project

The Buy Nothing Academy

A self-paced online course to help you become a Community Builder!

I personally am not on Fb (some of my fam is). It is or was Fb, as I understand it, that the Buy Nothing Project first started on. The project now has its own native app, which I also have not downloaded, but am now considering downloading.

I used to be on Freecycle before it got co-opted. I had found it useful.

11 Likes

Very cool, thank you!

7 Likes
14 Likes
13 Likes

Yes, please!

16 Likes

Glad to see more support for the movement and resisting efforts to distract from the point:

Oh No Dancing GIF by Insecure on HBO

17 Likes

The discovery of the molar from Grotte Mandrin, near Malataverne in the RhĂŽne Valley in southern France, along with hundreds of stone tools dating back about 54,000 years ago, suggests that early humans lived in Europe about 10,000 years earlier than archaeologists had previously thought.

What’s more, the Homo sapiens tooth was sandwiched between layers of Neanderthal remains, showing that the two groups of humans coexisted in the region. These findings challenge the narrative that the arrival of Homo sapiens in Europe triggered the extinction of Neanderthals, who lived in Europe and parts of Asia for about 300,000 years before disappearing.

“We’ve often thought that the arrival of modern humans in Europe led to the pretty rapid demise of Neanderthals, but this new evidence suggests that both the appearance of modern humans in Europe and disappearance of Neanderthals is much more complex than that,”

16 Likes