Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

First they came for the birds…

10 Likes

see also:

15 Likes

Yeah, that would make it easier for the kids to dig themselves some foxholes.

8 Likes
11 Likes

sarcastic+yay+-+tissues

9 Likes

Writer, director, and actor Taika Waititi is best known for the idiosyncratic humor of his films, including the more recent Marvel blockbuster Thor movies. But he is also an easily recognizable celebrity, known for being unashamedly himself even as others might label him eccentric . Or as he put it in a recent profile in Wired , “I come off as very gay.”

The topic came up during a commentary on his fashion sense, referencing a particular 2017 Comic-Con lewk in which Waititi sported a pink pineapple romper and mirrored shades.

But in addition to his unabashed fashion, Waititi is also known for portraying campy characters. In 2019’s JoJo Rabbit , he played a version of Hitler that was a child’s imaginary friend—a Hitler given to cartoonish exaggeration and animated expressions. And his vampire character Viago in the 2014 film What We Do In the Shadows was established as an 18th-century dandy in his previous life.

But perhaps the ‘gayest’ thing about Waititi has nothing to do with camp but with the way he defies societal norms without apology. Last year, paparazzi photos of Waititi in a three-way kiss with his girlfriend Rita Ora and Thor: Ragnarok star Tessa Thompson made the rounds on the internet. While many outlets salivated over the salacious rumor of a polyamorous relationship, Waititi’s only comment was, “I was doing nothing wrong.”

11 Likes

On May 31 General Mills announced that it divested its 60% stake in its Israeli subsidiary. For the last two years the company has been targeted by the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) over the fact that some of its Pillsbury products are manufactured in an illegal Israeli settlement. . . .

“General Mills’ divestment shows that public pressure works even on the largest of corporations,” said AFSC’s Noam Perry in a statement. “With this move, General Mills is joining many other American and European companies that have divested from Israel’s illegal occupation, including Microsoft and Unilever just in the last couple of years. We call on all companies to divest from Israel’s illegal and brutal occupation of Palestine, and from the apartheid system it is part of. We congratulate General Mills on this decision and hope this is the first step in cutting all its ties to Israeli apartheid and toward respecting universal human rights.”

12 Likes
10 Likes
10 Likes
18 Likes

That was a quick 180. Good to know there is still enough backlash against transphobia.

15 Likes

And yet it always takes these massive public shaming efforts to get corporations to do the morally right thing. :person_shrugging:

12 Likes

Corporations are amoral sociopathic entities whose sole purpose is to generate profit, so as far as human rights go, they are a canary. I’m happy insofar as the market interested in the respect of human rights is larger than the market of fascists.

16 Likes

For sure. I’m reminded of Cory’s quote about us being the gut flora of immortal, transhuman corporations.

13 Likes
13 Likes
14 Likes

“DoorDash? I’ll take it from here.”

7 Likes
11 Likes

Depending on how one views “Good” or “Encouraging Stuff”…

GWAR has a new release out:

The New Dark Ages" album concept is tied to a companion graphic novel “GWAR In The Duoverse of Absurdity”, in which the band are sucked off into an alternate universe to do battle with their evil twins and the specter of rogue technology.

4 Likes

Despite the fascist backlash against trans people, the young continue to increasingly live authentically.

12 Likes