Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

18 Likes
19 Likes

“This act of clemency for Ms. Kruzan does not minimize or· forgive her conduct or the harm it caused…”

Still…“won’t somebody think of the sex traffickers?” :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

8 Likes

Poodle’s name: Spartacus

7 Likes

So that’s why they couldn’t work out who did it.

the dogs let themselves out all along.

17 Likes
13 Likes

Word. And all the fuckery going on right now damn sure oughta motivate something approaching a critical mass.

:fist:

12 Likes

5 Likes

I mean, I appreciate the thought, but…

11 Likes

Baby Reaction GIF

8 Likes

The self-talk I usually have around the crisis-tipping-point-danger-thingy has much to do with what I can crib from ol’ Bucky Fuller (not a perfect human but some good ideas):

… about trim-tab-ness:

Something something skillful means something something individual something.

3 Likes

Thank JFK for starting that myth.

2 Likes

Fuller’s grandson, in the introduction, refers to this selection as “hardcore Bucky,”

Nick Offerman Giggles GIF

6 Likes
13 Likes
12 Likes

機 actually does mean “opportunity” in isolation in Japanese, though.

2 Likes

I mean, sorta. If you look up opportunity the common word seems to be 機会. On its own 機 gets listed as opportunity but its primary meaning seems to be more mechanism; like loom is apparently 織機 or just 機 too. So I feel like saying it stands for opportunity is really pushing something that isn’t quite there…like saying football is named after two body parts.

3 Likes

Yes, it has the meaning for mechanism as well, but as a naturalized Japanese citizen and professional translator, I can assure you that it is used in isolation to mean opportunity, such as in the sentence, “この機を逃すな,” which means (basically), “Don’t let this opportunity slip between your fingers.”

Here is an example in use.

2 Likes

I’m not questioning that though, I’m wondering if it’s inherent in the compound. Foot and ball are legitimately both body parts too but only one is really connected to the sport.

When Japanese people say 危機, are they actually thinking danger-opportunity, danger-machine, or some more basic element entirely? That the same pair exists in Chinese makes me suspect it’s the latter.

4 Likes

I think that the difference is in the connotation of the word “opportunity,” which tends to have only positive connotations in English. I think that, more broadly, 機 refers or a situation or occasion in which something may occur.

But you are right in saying that, just as people do not think of a foot or a ball when they think of football, they do not think of the individual components of compound characters. The meaning is buried in the etymology (as is the case with football), but etymology is not what goes through people’s heads when using words.

2 Likes