Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

See, that makes sense. We say things like “don’t let this moment pass you by” to mean opportunities in English too, but it would be a mistake to think our language implies the same about every “dangerous moment” that happens.

3 Likes

I will say that, at least in modern Japanese, it is commonly understood that the word 危機 encompasses both 危険 (danger/hazard) and 機会 (opportunity/chance).

But really, I just wanted to say that the term evidently means something a bit different in Japanese than it does in Chinese. I never knew that people assumed “Danger + Opportunity” came from Chinese. I always thought it came from Japanese.

The title of this article, which also has a visual illustration of the idea, is “Crisis Management Means Preparing in Advance to Be Able to Turn 危 into 機.”

2 Likes
17 Likes

In The Nuts Pain GIF

4 Likes

20 Likes

Well said, Tom!

Thumbs Up GIF by Marc Leone

15 Likes

Mutual aid.
Is.
Natural.

23 Likes

Oh My God Reaction GIF by Music Choice

10 Likes

Glad that they’re trying to stop this:

14 Likes

Me too. But I have a relative who is manic, and he swears by this. Once a week.

2 Likes

The device the Rotenberg Center uses is a GED device. This is very different than the ECT devices used for mental illness treatment. ECT delivers a shock to the brain and is done under anesthesia and with muscle relaxants. GED is a series of shocks to the skin whose entire purpose is pain and punishment. It is used to punish the victim’s behaviors. ECT is only offered to adults capable of full and meaningful consent. GED is administered to children and people with disabilities severe enough that full and meaningful consent is a dubious prospect. ECT is a recognized treatment for mental illness. GED is classified by the UN as torture.
https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/ect#:~:text=Electroconvulsive%20therapy%20(ECT)%20is%20a,the%20patient%20is%20under%20anesthesia.

Edited to change the word “school” to Rotenberg Center. Because that place may try to call itself a school, but it isn’t

16 Likes

Being good enough is okay.

10 Likes

from

17 Likes

A Rabbi once told me that God can be “All good”, “All Powerful”, and “All knowing” but you can only choose two.

I think about that a lot.

13 Likes
5 Likes

No yellow card for simulation on that one. He’s got a legitimate reason to go down and stay down for a little while. Training staff, bring an ice pack stat!

3 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

ECT is a medical intervention done directly to the brain under close supervision. The GED is strapping a remote control taser to a disabled child’s body and telling untrained supervisors to give them a shock if they say “no”, or flinch when somebody else gets shocked.

The only commonality is that they both use electricity.

12 Likes

im not crying youre crying GIF

5 Likes
17 Likes

Sign Language Asl GIF by Sign with Robert

6 Likes