Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

Now, that’s a nice!

18 Likes

I’ve been a fan of hers since she took over the City Clerk position and completely organized and streamlined every aspect. A representative example from before: even if you went directly to a city office to pay your water/sewer bill, you wouldn’t be credited for the payment until someone in a back office got around to manually entering your payment into the computer. This might be a week or more later. And if so, the next bill would include a late charge fee. I kid you not.

Mendoza said fines for red light cameras fall disproportionately on minority and low-income drivers.

“I think it’s critical that the state’s collection mechanisms should not be hijacked by political insiders to profit from an enforcement system whose integrity is now being seriously questioned,” Mendoza said.

13 Likes

Thanks @dfaris

House Intel chair Adam Schiff on Iran: 'We have to expect retaliation'

7 Likes

12 Likes

Speaking of Finland (but sorry it’s the Daily Fail) –

8 Likes

Kinda fake…

2 Likes

?

Plans to Introduce vs. Backs … not a huge difference. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

It’s not in the Government policy statement and she said it while she was The Minister of Transport and Communications. And The Centre Party won’t go for it anyway. With the strong right-wing opposition of National Coalition Party and second biggest party in The Parliament being those cunts (aka “finns” party most popular party in Finland) it’s not going to happen.

But they are fixing the horrible shit done by the those cunts, NCP and The Centre Party did during the last goverment.

Like this shit:
https://www.twobirds.com/en/news/articles/2016/finland/kilpailukyvyn-tehostaminen-mita

As written by somebody who can write English:
" Shorter workweek exaggerated

Finnish media on Tuesday range across topics including yet more plentiful coverage of Prime Minister Sanna Marin in the international media, but unfortunately most of it was inaccurate.

Before becoming Prime Minister, Marin floated the idea of a six-hour workday. This months-old idea, now exaggerated, is spreading like wildfire, according to Talouselämä, with international headlines such as “Finland to introduce a four-day working week”.

In August, Marin said shortening working hours increased productivity by a third at Nokian Tyres in the 1990s.

But Kim Gran , who headed Nokian Tyres from 2000-2014, said Marin was misinformed.

“I don’t know where Marin got these figures. For a short time, in one department, we piloted a new working hour system. Employees didn’t like it, so we ended it,” he told Talouselämä.

NewsNow Finland has detailed how the fake story spread across international media outlets in “How Finland’s fake four-day week became a "fact’ in Europe’s media.”"

2 Likes
12 Likes

Goodness, if Texas turns blue, holy crap. That’s a game changer for the nation. That would be highly encouraging.

8 Likes

MIL crocheted a huge pile of little nests for the Aussies and the wife mailed them out yesterday. In the big picture not probably a big deal, but of small links are large chains forged.

15 Likes

Does it make sense to repost a BB post here?

Yes. Yes it does! These days, I for one need all the good news I can get.

18 Likes

20 Likes
15 Likes
14 Likes
11 Likes

Thanks @RickMycroft

9 Likes

Nope, still breathing. Need quieter yet.

12 Likes

I think this fits the thread because it is validating the very real dangers of childhood trauma and actually funding the process by which vulnerable children can be found and then helped:

8 Likes

(Edited to add: Encouraging the conversation is happening, and it’s also a free event at the conference, so if you are in the area and interested, please go.)

5 Likes